Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to post on the "Jamey Aebersold - Not my cup of tea" thread but it was so long and I was frankly not interested in the Blues argument so I thought I would start a new one to discuss the Aebersolds .
A few posts criticized the playing on some of them and some do have less then stellar accompaniments but some are just fantastic .

Many of you probably have All Bird v6. You can't really complain about Ben Riley , Kenny Barron and Ron Carter !! I also like 13 Favorite Standards v22 with Dan Haerle , Tod Colman and especially Ed Soph , check out Wives and Lovers . One of the newer ones Hot House v94 has great playing by James Williams ,Christian McBride and Jeff "Tain" Watts .

I actually hated one enough to return it ,Invitation v59 . Its supposed to be a hammond b3 organ play along but most of the cuts were Jamey playing a synth with a lame organ sound . This is the only one though that Ive heard that I think is really unusable .

There is some great rhythm section work on a lot of Aebersolds . Why don't we use this thread to recommend and not recommend certain volumes ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Maiden Voyage - volume 59 I think? This one is a beginner level and it can get boring after a while. But there is a good variety of tunes on there and they're all at nice easy tempos. This volume is the one I find myself putting on when I don't have anything in particular that I am trying to work on but I'm just in the mood to play and mess around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Maiden Voyage has Autumn Leaves, Summertime, Satin Doll, and Maiden Voyage on it. Its really a good one IMO. Simple, yes - but then again, so am I....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,768 Posts
Sugar! Love playing along with Hank Marr's B-3.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
Maiden Voyage is Vol. 54. I use it all the time with my students- it has a lot of tunes that they are able to grasp: Summertime, Blue Bossa (the changes with a different head), maiden voyage, cantaloupe island, etc.

Of course, Vol 6 is classic: with Ron Carter, Kenny Barron, Ben Riley... it doesn´t get much better than this.

I also like Vol 32 "Ballads" and Vol 40 "Round Midnight" (2 Cds) both volumes feature Hal Galper, Steve Gilmore and Bill Goodwin as rhythm section.

also Vol 44 "Autumn Leaves" with Nils Lan Doky, Christian Doky, and Billy Hart.

I also value the Vol 16 (2 Cds) Turnarounds, Cycles, and II V I because it is a very compact way of practicing that kind of material- one of those that you can keep pulling out over the years and still get something out of it.
Also Vol 3 "II V I" is excellent- I have profited greatly from learning the piano voicings in the supplement.

·
1,426 Posts
Joe henderson
Woody Shaw
Tom Harrell
I know it's cheesey but I don't have a rhythm section living at my house anymore. Just those pesky wife and kids. :D

·
4,596 Posts
"Nothin' But Blues" and "Blues in 12 keys" were really useful to me when I started improvising. I also really like Autumn Leaves, and Turnarounds, cycles, ii-V-I's.

·
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hal Leonard Jazz Play Along Series

The Hal Leonard Jazz Play Along Series are also fun . Each song has two versions . One with a trumpet or a sax (not both) playing the head and then the one with just rhythm section .
I like the Hal Leonard for my beginning students because it's easier for them to learn the head and helps with their pitch to play in tune with the other horn on the track . The downside is the tracks are all short and the rhythm section doesn't get a chance to do much .
I also like to play along with the horn tracks on my doubles (trpt,clar,recorder) to lock in on pitch etc .

·
Registered
119 Posts
The most useful to me is the II-V-I volume. Hot house (104) was very well done. For many people Maiden Voyage (54) will be a favorite. Miles Davis was good. A VERY pleasing one is Jobim. Standards with strings was also great but the most fun Freddie Hubbard, unless you really like the guitar in which case I'd say What's New.

My top Abersold REDO's (ones that should be fixed)

• Scale syllabus
  • Ear training
  • Cannonball Adderley

Fusion was a great idea -- I think that Abersold needed to do more with rythmic and funky rythm sections, but the writing and the performance doesn't inspire as it did on, for example, Brecker Brothers.

Top Abersold I have not seen:

Licks demonstrated and broken down! What would be really neat would be a play-along that includes professionals demonstrating licks with commentary concerning tone production. With the notes written out, this would be very useful.

·
3,494 Posts
I'm waiting for the 'Kenny G' play-along :twisted: :twisted:

Don't hold your breath.

Some of the Bob Mintzer stuff is real good. He plays on some tracks,
and then repeats the track with rhythm section only.

·
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kavala said:

Don't hold your breath.

Yes the Mintzer is great but we should mention they are not by Aebersold . I'm not sure of the publisher .

·
4,150 Posts
kavala said:

Don't hold your breath.

I have one of Mintzer's books autographed! It is really great. My friend has a Kenny G play-along:shock:

·
Registered
119 Posts
kavala said:

Don't hold your breath.

Which ones by Mintzer are good?

·
Registered
991 Posts
BIAB

I highly recommend the new play along series from Band In A Box.........

They have both "Jazz Saxophonist" and "Rock Saxophonist".......

I have both..........

You can hear the pro saxist play the entire song, mute his part, and learn/read the entire piece........helps learn how the improv works with the chord changes. (note-there are about 8 songs to work with).......

These play alongs are both real back up musicians, and option of midi.....

I have one recorded, but have to post it on my site.........

GREG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
565 Posts
Siggie said:
Licks demonstrated and broken down! What would be really neat would be a play-along that includes professionals demonstrating licks with commentary concerning tone production. With the notes written out, this would be very useful.
Jazz-O-Matic.com has a series called "Private Lessons" where Keith Ridenhour uses Aebersold play-alongs as the foundation. The idea is to help bridge the gap between practicing scales and patterns and use that knowledge when playing tunes and improvising.

We currently have lessons for Maiden Voyage, Killer Joe, All-Time Standards and there are more coming soon! Check'em out and see what you think!

·
Registered
119 Posts
CSharp said:
Jazz-O-Matic.com has a series called "Private Lessons" where Keith Ridenhour uses Aebersold play-alongs as the foundation. The idea is to help bridge the gap between practicing scales and patterns and use that knowledge when playing tunes and improvising.

We currently have lessons for Maiden Voyage, Killer Joe, All-Time Standards and there are more coming soon! Check'em out and see what you think!
I couldn't find the lessons you mentioned, but I did find some great sax solos! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
991 Posts
Jazz Saxophonist

For those interested.......listen to my recording of "Bop Ditty"...on my Tenor sax page.
The backup is from the PG Music(BIAB), Jazz Saxophonist.

Great learning tool with its sheet music(CD), hearing the pro saxist play the songs, then muting his track so you can emulate................

Let me know what you think, GREG

"Emulation Is The Key"

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.