Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post something about this great Neapolitan musician.
His style is raw and very direct but it never fails to grab me, both with his shouting angry voice and saxophone playing. He sings and plays Naples, the wonderful and much troubled place where James and I both were born.

His story is the story of a " Half-Black" (Nero a met脿.......the title of a Pino Daniele Album where he played his saxophone..... ) " son of the war" ( figlio della guerra) born out of the wedlock from a Black American soldier and a White Neapolitan girl.

His father stayed two years in Naples and later went back to the States and they never heard anything anymore from him. This Black boy grew-up on the outskirts of Naples and later wanted to play the Saxophone (he was 12 when he started ) because he had seen n album of John Coltrane and he identified the saxophone and John Coltrane as a symbol of his blackness that he could relate to, not having any in his surroundings.

His music went from the early Rhythm & Blues of the '60 to the fusion of the '70 the long co-operation with Pino Daniele in the '80 and the energetic funky that he still plays these days.

I am posting a couple of youtube videos starting with " 'A Musica mia che r'茅 "

Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also listen to the very refined solo in this Pino Daniele classic " Puorteme 'a casa mia"

Distinguished SOTW Member.
A compelling performer... Some Trane influences in his declarative style of singing 'and' playing... I enjoy his style...

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I really like his playing, especially the '70 stuff with " Napoli Centrale " (3 albums released) most of it done on a Super 20 with an octavoice pick up

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James has featured in the recent John Tutturro's film " Passione" where he also talks of his experience of " son of the war", James was fathered by an American soldier who later left Naples and that he has never seen again. He grew up with the stigma of being a black " son of the war" .

His playing of this traditional Neapolitan song is so bitter, sweet and dramatic.

If you understand Italian this interview is very touching

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
again this soloon " Chi tene 'o mare " by Pino Daniele ( Those who have the sea (inside) ) showing James ( on the late Super 20 USA! which he used back then)...... still impressive! If you have the sea inside you, you will understand the lyrics, even though they are in Neapolitan dialect!

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers, James is getting on a bit and James is James with all his peculiarities, nevertheless, a great player in his own right!

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
James is still going VERY strong, even at his age! Nero Napoletano.

This is a recent live performance ( with, as an unlikely partner the traditional singer Massimo Ranieri) of one of his '70 Neapolitan Fusion classics from his group " Napoli Centrale" : " Campagna".

Campagna, is a very politically engaged piece, here he talks of how the field farmers, the real workers and producers of all the things we eat, are exploited by those who own them.

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
James Senese plays again the intro and solo of this incredible Pino Daniele's song . He aslo sings the lyrics. .Chi tene o' mare, in Neapolitan " He whom has the Sea (inside)"

His sound is still great (his voice maybe not quite so much) and still one of my inspirations. Very close to Gato Barbieri's sound.

You can clearly hear (not only the growling but the entire harmonic structure) how similar is his playing and Gato Barbieri's

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
newer live versions , Napoli centrale concert

this is a great example of his soprano playing, very intense

Registered
I really enjoyed A Musica mia che r'茅, fantastic. Need to look into this Napoli Centrale more in depth, but still stuck with this one song. Thank you so much for bringing this to attention!

Registered
Grande James, I love his music !

Distinguished SOTW Member
A Giant. A Monster.
As Bird said, "If you haven't lived it, it won't come out of your horn" Well James has lived it, and it comes pouring out of his horn.
When I hear James and Pino together my eyes spring a leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts