·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm surprised nobody else has posted a clip. I know it's a tough tune to sound great on without too much embellishment, just thought we might hear some different takes on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
I listened to him play while singing the lyrics to myself and did not feel he made it about the song, although he certainly is a good player. IMO it was overly and counterproductively embellished, the use of rubato made no sense lyrically, and the blues riff and cadenza at the end were very out of place. Did he stick close to the melody? Most of the time perhaps, but not close enough.

BTW, this is a style of play that is increasingly common; it just isn't for my taste. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have any links to clips of a more tastefully played versions? Thats what I am looking for here. I know there was one floating around of Grover but I can't find it.
I certainly don't want to see Ski's again, lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let's face it, if you perform the United States National Anthem, you are not gonna please everyone. This guy played it well, and a whole lot better than the sax poser Ski.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
He busted out only on "land of the free and home of the brave" which I figure fits OK with the idea of the lyric.

If you can't be a little brave and a little free in that part of the song, when could you be?

I feel brave enough to let that guy be free enough to rip a little.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
James has also been appearing on the HBO series Treme' performing on sax. Cool series about current day New Orleans and some of the music scene.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,013 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts