Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got mine yesterday. The purchase form asks what type of music you play (to match the mpc to player) and I said classical/old jazz standards. I love this mouthpiece, and I find it a lot easier to play tenor on it than the Selmer Paris S90 170, Brilhart Ebolin 4* and Yamaha 4c I've tried. (BTW, you get a two-week trial. Only $5 restocking fee).

I saw briefly in an old thread that someone described the Houlik mpcs as Rascher like. I've only played Rascher on alto, and it was a lot tougher to play than this one. Does anyone know the stats of this mpc? I'm kind of curious about the tip opening in particular since it works so well for me, even with a Blue box 2 reed. The mpc comes packaged like a new Caravan, and like the Caravan, there's apparently no precise info about the tip opening.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just got mine yesterday. The purchase form asks what type of music you play (to match the mpc to player) and I said classical/old jazz standards. I love this mouthpiece, and I find it a lot easier to play tenor on it than the Selmer Paris S90 170, Brilhart Ebolin 4* and Yamaha 4c I've tried. (BTW, you get a two-week trial. Only $5 restocking fee).

I saw briefly in an old thread that someone described the Houlik mpcs as Rascher like. I've only played Rascher on alto, and it was a lot tougher to play than this one. Does anyone know the stats of this mpc? I'm kind of curious about the tip opening in particular since it works so well for me, even with a Blue box 2 reed. The mpc comes packaged like a new Caravan, and like the Caravan, there's apparently no precise info about the tip opening.
I don't know the answer off the top of my head. I seem to recall .85 or .95 quoted in the past, but I'm not sure what the newer ones measure. I have three of them and they are all great!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I've had one about three years. I like it. I asked for one to use for big band and concert band. The tip opening of my mpc measured about .71.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just bought a used one last week from SOTW.

I like it a lot.

I had already made the transition from large to smallish tip. I play on an early Babbitt STM 5.

The Houlik is very compatible. A bit darker. Lots of good warm overtones in the sound.

I bought if for playing sax quartet, but I think I will take it out on some jazz trio/quartet gigs as I'm digging the Joe Henderson vibe I'm picking up off it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts