Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know any thoughts or from anyone with any experience as to which might be the better flute. I am a saxophonist first and a long time flute doubler. I do not want an open hole flute and definitely want the offset G. I know the Yamaha always gets very positive reviews and Dave Kessler gave glowing reviews to the Galway line of Flutes.
I've been playing a student Bundy for about 30 years and have an Artley Wilkens closed hole with an in-line G that I could never get used to and want to sell.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Call me sceptical, but after seeing many very positive reviews which I eventually find to quite mis-represent the instrument, I take all very positive reviews with several grains of salt, unless, as with Yamaha there is a wide consensus of opinion in a less formal setting.

1. The reviewer often has commercial interests in the brand, or has personal loyalties to a person involved with the brand.
2. Very positive reviews can be found for pretty much every brand.
3. Negative reviews are almost non-existent, because in some countries they are too likely to invite litigation.
4. A player's name such as Galway attached to a flute usually means absolutely nothing.

I write generally, and intend no attack on Mr Kessler, whom I don't know from a bar of soap.
There are exceptions to every pattern.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
When I read the words "James Galway spirit" the word's "Kenny G" saxes came to mind. More than likely some Chinese junk with a famous player's name stamped on it.
Believe it or not, I have an old Jupiter flute that is very easy to play for a doubler like me. I've played it next to real flute players with real flutes and drowned them out. Definitely the loudest playing flute I have tried. Now intonation? So-so.
A friend of mine had a student line Buffet flute that I thought played well also.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
According to the Kessler review, the Spirit is built on the "same platform" as the Avanti Brannen flutes designed by Bickford Brannen. If that is true and they are comparable in mechanical design to the Avanti, then it would be well worth giving them a try. I have one of the Avanti Brannens and I like it very much. It has a cooper style head, open hole, offset g, B foot with gizmo. It it is well made, plays in tune and the head makes it pretty powerful. I like my Avanti every bit as much as my 684 Yamaha, and although I was brought up on in-line G flutes, I find the offset G and the pad cup design on the Avanti more comfortable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I am comparing these two and am wondering which one is preferred. I like Yamaha. I played a yas23 for years. But the few threads that I have seen on the Galway makes me wonder how it compares to the student yamaha flute.

·
Registered
49 Posts
According to some people in different forums the Galway spirit has a better HJ than any other student flute and it plays on a cooper scale.

If these two flutes were the same price which would you buy? I'm thinking about taking some flute lessons in a month and i'd like to get the best student beginner flute that I can.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It is very rare for a flute to be well made and not be a long-standing reputable brand.

If you want to run the chance that this flute is the very rare exception, then go for it.

I think there is a far greater chance that as soon as it needs servicing, which may be quite soon, then to put it into good, reliable order may cost more than it is worth after that process, making its current value pretty close to nil.

Yes, I am stereotyping the new brand names that appear every month, but I speak from servicing over 130 brands of flute. You just cannot go wrong with Yamaha. You can go very wrong with the majority of other brands. The construction quality of a flute is every bit as important as its tone and appearance in the shop.

Give it a decade or two test of time to allow the dust to settle on any extravagant reviews before paying them much heed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Gordon. Yeah Yamaha is a good brand and they have a solid reputation. I just couldn't pass up a Spirit that was for $50 though. I'll see how it is when it arrives later this week. It's got to be better than the Chinese ones on Ebay.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
The Galway Spirit is American made, if that means anything to you. Kessler's Music have good reviews on it, but I have not played one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had it for a week or so. I'm not much of a flute player, but it sounds good to me. The pads are nice and it has a beautiful look to it. For $50 it was a steal. I'll be taking lessons this summer. I'll report back when I get a little better, and my tone isn't so airy sounding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts