Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
James Carter, my all time favorite saxophonist, is known for his ability to "shred" and make unusual but amazing noises on the saxophone. I was amazed by watching his improv (link below). In this video, he plays licks, runs, and while doing so, he manages to implement little things like altissimo, slap tonguing, and growling. If anyone knows any other techniques or tricks he uses, please respond, and if you know how to do any, respond with how to practice it or perhaps a video that explains it. Thanks a lot!
-Nick

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
He also does the Eddie Harris Scream pretty well too but he often uses more of a low Gutteral sound when he does it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This is my favorite.
Thanks for sharing this, that made my day! The thing about James Carter that always puts a smile on my face is that you can tell he is genuinely goofing around (In a precise and virtuosic way that only James Carter can) and having a lot of fun doing it. Puts me at ease before going on the bandstand!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sounds like he's SCREAMING through his horn, while putting his teeth on the reed and doing something strange with the shape of his oral cavity. I don't think anyone except for James Carter himself really has the answer for you, man...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,424 Posts

Still can't figure out what he's doing at 0:17.
Does anybody know how to do it?
Do you want to replicate it or know how to avoid it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,424 Posts
Haha!
I already know your opinion on Carter's playing...

Nonetheless, I was planning on replicating it.
Ya just gotta emote - loudly.

There must have been a time in my life when I did some of that stuff and considered it "artful". Not so much now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
5,038 Posts

Still can't figure out what he's doing at 0:17.
Does anybody know how to do it?
Finger a lower bell note on tenor, and use your knowledge of the overtone series in order to get a "slide whistle" effect. You're not aiming for any particular partial, but you should be aiming "up high". Now, just sneak up behind someone, and do that as loudly and intensely as you can. If you don't get shot at or punched, consider it a successful gig.

·
Premium Member
18,672 Posts
This is his easiest trick: take off your reed, look at it with a nasty face and throw it away (he does do that a lot on stage) :bluewink:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts