Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tale's been around for a good long while, and lots of folks have seen it over the years -- but I expect it'll be new to plenty of folks as well. I've moved it to its shiny new home on my jazz blog, adding a new intro and a postscript detailing what happened when I ran into James for the first time since the events recounted here, twenty years later in New York.

It's here: James Carter Ruined My Life

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
902 Posts
Let he who is without such experience cast the first sax!

Super-congrats for this great article. Real humour is to dare laughing at oneself.

J

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
That is a great story and I enjoyed reading it again. Ironic that James is on the cover of Downbeat for May (or maybe that was what prompted your post?).

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thanks for this! I hadn't read or heard about it before. I've felt the same way many times; about giving up...only in jest. About being inspired by someone younger...yes. Many, many times.

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Gents! And cleger, I totally did not know he's May's Downbeat cover -- I love it! I'll have to check that out...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Yeah he ruined my life too after i heard JC ON THE SET! i should have never bought it and five other cds of his. damn you JC!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I won't ever forget the World Sax Congress in Minneapolis in 2003. After spending a delightful half-hour with Stella Tartsinis playtesting the latest Cannonballs, I mosey'd over to the Saxquest.com vendor table to behold Mr. Carter burning up the atmosphere on a Conn mezzo-soprano! I doubt such a horn will ever be played in quite that way again. What magic!

·
Registered
315 Posts
So "Jc on the set" would be a good primer for this saxophonists music? He seems to be very good, per all your remarks. If not this, what would you suggest i start with? I am trying to extend my sax catalog, this guy might be the next.

·
2,870 Posts
So "Jc on the set" would be a good primer for this saxophonists music? He seems to be very good, per all your remarks. If not this, what would you suggest i start with? I am trying to extend my sax catalog, this guy might be the next.
Joshua Redman on the left and James Carter on the right

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just my opinion, but Joshua Redman stole the show in regards to tone and ideas. Carter might have had more tricks, but it seemed he played the tricks for the sake of playing the tricks, not for the sake of music.

·
2,870 Posts
Just my opinion, but Joshua Redman stole the show in regards to tone and ideas. Carter might have had more tricks, but it seemed he played the tricks for the sake of playing the tricks, not for the sake of music.
I wanted to add. Don't discuss whoever is the best. But i thought it wasn't necessary, i guess i was wrong.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I wanted to add. Don't discuss whoever is the best. .
I still say Kelly trumps James Carter every time. That Carter guy is a showman but our Kelly's got the soul..

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still say Kelly trumps James Carter every time. That Carter guy is a showman but our Kelly's got the soul..
Rooty, I should send you flowers -- but I'm afraid you'd eat them...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts