Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Interesting, that left pinky cluster looks extremely odd with the Bb key all the way on the left.
And it appears it only plays up to either High Eb or High E with only the two palm keys. I'm interested to find some stuff out about this sax due to the odd ergonomics.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,430 Posts
The Albert family was a Family of musical instruments makers in Brussels, Belgium including Jean-Baptiste (1845–99), Jacques (1849–1918) (also known as Albert fils, sons) who were the sons of Eùgene, the inventor of the clarinet’s ALBERT SYSTEM. The fact that this only bears the name of Jacques Albert could be an indication of this instrument being produced AFTER 1900.

There is a very good chance that Jacques Albert instruments were made in High Pitch (which makes them worth only something for collecting purposes!), on that basis and the fact that this instrument is not cheap and will definitely require lots of attention I would stay very well away from it.

The ad also say that this saxophone has been recently played and found good. In all honesty I find this almost impossible to believe since the pads are probably original (they are of the bulging cushion type) I can hardly believe that it is possible to play to the extent of evaluating the pitch

ALso note the fact that the tenon has a sort of plateau which makes virtually impossible to tune the horn by pushing the mouthpiece any further.

this is a similar horn I think but shows some improved features, probably made later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the information and feedback! indeed time to move on and keep on looking.
The unfortunate thing about NZ is that the market is so small! Very wary of buying off ebay due to un-reliability of traders and shipping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,430 Posts
well, I don’t think it is that bad otherwise the ebay wouldn’t exist , the vast majority of the transaction have to be successful!

Are you especially looking for a very old soprano? Anyway I have a couple of modern ones ( more expensive than that I am afraid) for sale........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
Interesting, that left pinky cluster looks extremely odd with the Bb key all the way on the left.
And it appears it only plays up to either High Eb or High E .....
Are you sure that's not a double-height C# pinky key on the left, so you can roll straight offr the bottom of it onto the Bb key that curves around under the small B-nat key ? Up to High Eb was not unheard of on vintage soprano's - RH side Bb/C, LH palm D/Eb. Looks interesting !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,945 Posts
Yes, that's what it is. A roller directly from C# to Bb. Some older Holtons have those too...quite handy, really.

And I agree...as C-Mel said, a lotta old sops were only keyed up to Eb.

I dunno....if one could confirm it was a low pitch, it might not be a bad buy....

But perhaps the lack of the 3rd LH palmkey is a bit of a turnoff....

·
Registered
726 Posts
So, is the middle key on the left hand pinky the Bb? or is it the left key? I'm just not seeing how the bottom roller on the key to the left could be of any practical use seeing as how there is a space directly to the right of it. Seems like a roller to nothing.

And I'm sure there is some kind of old school altissimo fingerings that could reach E3, F3, and F#3. I mean, Adolphe played 3.5 octaves on his original bass, so it must be possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
It's a really rubbish picture, I tried to zoom in on the pinky, but the resolution is so.. poor ! Also, getting a sense that when you say 'bottom roller on the key to the left' maiaihii - are you visualising the keys from a players point of view (i.e. looking down towards the pinky table - not looking straight at the on-screen picture like I assumed ? Think confusion could be afoot.....

This (quickly) rotated/zoomed/sharpened/cropped :mrgreen: picture of the pinky table seems to suggest that it isn't a 'space' in front of the lower C# roller, note the various mechanisms at the bottom of the pinky table, seems like a distinctly right-angled leg attached to the bottom of the 'space' !

Anybody know of any cheap (or even free...) 'image enhancement' software ? :bluewink: Wouldn't it be handy looking at auction pictures !

·
Registered
726 Posts
ahh I see cmelodysax, and yes I was speaking about it from a players view should have specified. It does appear the void is filled with a right angle bit, so now if you wouldn't mind (from a player's perspective) is the right key/bottom key Bb, and is the middle B and the left is C#? Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts