Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm sad to hear that. Amazing song, by the way.

Jaco was somewhat related to my jazz teacher, who will be disappointed by the loss if he doesn't know already.

Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Whoa. I did not read that correctly at all. I would say he definitely does know, then. :eek: Still, very sad.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
I walked into Virgin Records in Denver about 5 years ago and asked a guy to help me start my jazz CD collection. I told him about my love for Weather Report's album 'Heavy Weather'. Jaco's solo debut was one of the first 5 CD's he chose. I treasure it to this day.

Recently I saw the Yellowjackets in Washington DC at Blues Alley. After they finished their first set I said to the bass player (Jimmy Hayslip) that he sounded like Jaco reincarnated...he stopped and explained to me that he had the privilege of studying under Jaco for a time. Jaco's influence was very evident in Jimmy's playing.

A jazz pioneer whose life was cut short, but whose influence will last forever...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
abadcliche said:
Cool recording, Saxtek. Who is playing?
I'm playing all the saxophone parts (S,A,A,T,T,B,B,Bass). The arrangement was originally written by Larry Warrilow, Jaco's orchestrator, for mixed brass & saxes. Jaco's musical associates played it at his funeral.

My MYSPACE page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. Posts like these are one of the reasons I like hanging around at SOTW.
My band has been playing "Come on Come Over" at almost every gig for about 5 years now.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
"Come on Come Over" is my favorite off Jaco's solo album. Do you have a recording of the band on that tune you could post?

This thread could become a tribute to Jaco with all the remakes of his tunes by SOTW members...

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
GAS_Wyo said:
"Come on Come Over" is my favorite off Jaco's solo album. Do you have a recording of the band on that tune you could post?

This thread could become a tribute to Jaco with all the remakes of his tunes by SOTW members...
Hey, Gas: they're calling you for testimony over on the Laramie, Wyoming thread. Drop by and set 'em straight, will ya?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
saxtek said:
Jaco Pastorius, my friend, my roommate on the road, and the one who revolutionized the electric bass died 20 years ago today.

Here is his composition, Continuum, for saxophones only.

http://members.aol.com/saxtek/continuum.mp3
Hi Randy,

Great song, well played!

Jaco was one of the greats...

Thanks for sharing,

Wim

·
Registered
247 Posts
"three views of a secret" slays me every time i listen to it; a remarkable piece of writing.

jaco pastorius was astonishing; the impact of his too-short career and life will endure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jaco played saxophone for a while. When he was a teenager, he would be as likely to sit in on saxophone as bass or drums. The last time I actually heard him play, he came in to see a band I was playing with and borrowed my baritone sax for a tune.

My Myspace page:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
A great bass player, a great musician and a great composer/arranger.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
saxtek said:
I'm playing all the saxophone parts (S,A,A,T,T,B,B,Bass). The arrangement was originally written by Larry Warrilow, Jaco's orchestrator, for mixed brass & saxes. Jaco's musical associates played it at his funeral.

My MYSPACE page:

Wow- i love it. This is really really fantastic playing and beyond category musicianship by you. I'd love to hear more. Very inspiring playing and creatice committments.

Jaco was a unique soul.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I saw Jaco at his heights performing and at his lowest strung out, wondering around 4th and Lafayette Streets in NYC. A tragic loss of a great soul.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts