Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody own/use Jackie Maclean's daily exercise book?

Rory

·
844 Posts
I used to. Found other materials that were better suited for my needs, more thorough for what I was trying to practice.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
It's actually a lot like the Sigurd Rascher 158 exercises book, although more based in scales than in triads.

If you want a workout for your diminished & augmented arpeggios, this would be a great book to pick up.

However...other than that, you won't get too much from it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use it - - not as often as I should. Not including the long tone section of the book (I can't stand doing them) it takes me about 20 minutes to run through the book. The main exercise is meant to be played from beginning to end as an everyday thing. A really great way to warm up every practice session. I try to play each exercise to about quarter note=300. It's really helped to clean up my technique.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I use it a lot-most days. I just use it as a really slow warm up-setting the metronome at 40 and playing 1/4 notes for the 1st half of the book. Great for stamina, breathing, patience, time etc. You can do that with anything, but it's nice to have a ritual.The books so short it takes a couple of days to memorize

It was pretty much Jackie's routine as well-he spoke of it on the "Fresh Air" radio show.

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks fellas, I think I might get it:)
R

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I do and I recommend it.

Jackie actually gave me a signed copy as a thank you for coming up with a horn for him at the last minute for a gig. His death leaves a huge, gaping wound in the jazz world....great, loving guy :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts