Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I found this sax and could buy it. Can you guess what it is? To me it looks like a Conn? Apparently, JW York and Sons were selling all kinds of horns after 1915. Do you know the horn? Will it be a good buy?

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Plant Automotive exterior Atmospheric phenomenon
Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Musical instrument Brass instrument Auto part Bumper Automotive wheel system

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,437 Posts
NO.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
668 Posts
Absolutely not! York was a well respected brass instrument maker. I wouldn't touch this ....

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
It's not a Conn. It might be a Buescher but there's not enough pictures of other parts of the horn to tell.

It's certainly not worth $1190. $200 in perfect playing condition, <$50 if it's not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,358 Posts
Not made by Conn. The photos don't show enough to tell. I sell a lot of the old vintage horns and for that kind of money you can got a really nice Conn Chu Berry, a Buescher Arisocrat, King, Martin Committee or any quality horn ready to play.
I assume you are not in the US as I agree that the York in question is not worth more than about $100.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,226 Posts
Absolutely not! York was a well respected brass instrument maker. I wouldn't touch this ....
The thing is, though....York did have major sax makers produce their horns now and again.

You are correct, the York factory made good brass instruments...they DID, during a certain period, produce their own saxes. Some weren't very good, some were OK.
But those have telltale details which identify them as coming from the York factory.

THIS sax doesn't seem to have many of those details. So it is a stencil, probably...it wasn't made BY York.

Not a Conn...a Buescher is a fair guess...it does have a resemblence to earlier TT splitbells, the ones with the pearl G# touch.....so, while the auctioner was absurd in their pricing, he may have been correct in its attribution.

Nevertheless, even if a Buescher, as a project horn it'd be worth maybe $100. Full overhauled, with that York name on it ?...it would not carry a market value of more than $350.

Would it be a good horn ? It depends. As Bruce and 'Denma said, more pics are needed, more information, to definitively figure who made it.

But with the old pearl G#, the horn is a little anachronistic, keywork-wise.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
But the question could be, will it play like a true tone after repair, for less? But agreed, not a candidate for profit or flipping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,226 Posts
Yes, that is the question. You know, I.....much more than most...am always up for making the argument that an old horn of a reputable mfr. is always worth fixing up, even if it has a stencil name on it.

But even I have to admit..... when I see stuff like them round pearl G# touches and lack of a front F key....I cannot help but start leaning towards "better idea to spend that $ on something else".

Also..in this instance, you can pick up a name Buescher-engraved series 1 or 2 Truetone in good playing shape for around $350. (There were two project ones for sale by Forum members here, Buescher engraving...one went on eFlay for $180, the other is Sigmund's, and he'd be quite happy getting $125-150 for it, I'd think....).

I have at times in the past replaced round G# touches with full, 'normal' touchplates....gotta silver solder 'em on, though. Again, for what is a $100-300 horn, that's an expense most folks would probably politely decline....

·
8,588 Posts

·
8,588 Posts
That particular method isn't particularly prone to leaks I'm told. That big flange around the tone hold gives lots of room for solder to seal it.

It might leak if there's previous damage to the area, but it's pretty easily touched up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts