Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There - I have a chance to buy a seemingly old sax, but I have no idea of its value. The bell is inscribed with the following:

Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy
Gymnase Paris
Woonsocket, RI

It seems to be maybe nickel plated brass. I have seen it once, but have no pictures. I have searched the internet, but cannot seem to come up with anything of value. The sax is at an auction tomorrow, so I realize this is putting pressure on you experts. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lori

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Thibouville was a large musical instrument manufacturer (brass, clarinets, saxes, possibly strings) of high repute. Make sure this sax is LOW PITCH (A=440) before you bid, not HIGH PITCH (A=457). High pitch will be pretty much useless and not possible to play in tune with todays standard A = 440 (USA)/442 (Euro) pitched instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
Also, lots of these have short range to low B and have two octave levers , even at the best of times these are not worth a fortune. As a general principle , there are many antiques which are not worth much despite their age or being available in small numbers, saxophones are not better in this respect. Value of anything is given by desirability. Ask yourself why you don't find too many references to these saxophones on line? The reason why is because they are not the collector's holy grail.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
....the sax is at an auction tomorrow, so I realize this is putting pressure on you experts...
No pressure on us, Lori :bluewink:

They're not always helpfully engraved High or Low pitch (and there are a few more European pitch variations), so if you stay under $100, and win, it could still be an interesting possession - although whether it would be usable is another thing.

Any link to pictures ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts