Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're like me and use Apple's iWeb design and Mobile Me hosting for your website, you should take note Apple is expected to stop supporting these as of June 2012. Essentially, this means there will no more be updates to iWeb and you'll need to move your website to a new hosting service like GoDaddy. If you don't move your hosting or backup your site before the cutoff, you'll loose all your data and your website will go poof.

It's too bad what they're doing. The iWeb and Mobile Me combo is one of the easiest ways to get yourself on the net. I've used it for six years now. It's quick and you don't need to know HTML code to get what you want.

I'm not too upset by all this since I was already considering an overhaul of my site using Dreamweaver before learning of the changes. This gives me a deadline to get it done ;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Just use the 'get' function in Dreamweaver, and you can have your full site locally. Then it's just a matter of using the 'put' function to upload to another host. If you don't like or can't afford Dreamweaver, I suggest trying one of these freeware apps.

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. As far as I can see, Dreamweaver offers the best cross platform compatibility tools with browsers and devices. That is one of the upgrades I felt is needed on my site. Also, I'm doing an overall concept change. Cost isn't as big an issue. The learning curve is. So, I'd rather invest my time into the most comprehensive platform.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
When making mockups, it's hard to beat Adobe Fireworks. Dreamweaver is hard to beat. I recently bought a subscription to lynda.com. They have tutorials for just about everything.

Oh, incidently--if you use ProTools Don't Upgrade to Lion yet. Grrrrr...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,695 Posts
When making mockups, it's hard to beat Adobe Fireworks. Dreamweaver is hard to beat. I recently bought a subscription to lynda.com. They have tutorials for just about everything.

Oh, incidently--if you use ProTools Don't Upgrade to Lion yet. Grrrrr...
lynda.com is great.

And thanks for the PT warning. Somehow I thought that was initially directed at me. I don't update the work computer for almost a year. The home computer is updated to Lion. Only running Logic though...

Supposedly PT 9.0.5 is working with Lion. I'm not trying it though.

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently bought a subscription to lynda.com. They have tutorials for just about everything.
Interesting Thanks.

There are plenty of alternatives.
http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_move_your_iweb_sites_dedicated_host
Or you could get a Wordpress site, or Blogger, or.....I mean there are tons of things out there. You can still use iWeb with some of them, but iWeb is sorta been passed over by the web. Most sites now have some sort of backend database. iWeb never could do anything with those.
Yeah, iWeb was getting dated and more limited as the rest of the internet world grew up faster. So, that's why I was already looking to change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts