Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've been on this forum, as life tends to take us different directions and then back to a familiar place :)

I've decided to start a YouTube video channel sharing the knowledge I've gained over the last 30+ years of studying saxophone and 20+ years of teaching, and performing professionally. In my 1st video, I talk about embouchure and articulation. If you have 5 minutes, I would really appreciate it if you'd watch it and let me know how the video comes across. I'll be releasing at least 1 video a week and hope that it helps at least one person. Any and all advice is definitely welcome :)

Thank you to everyone here in this great SOTW universe!

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/OWK6OvUoX3U

-Zach

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you 10mfan, much appreciated. My hope is that it is helpful and that I learn and grow right along with everyone.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm gonna stick my neck out here.
I'm not a great musician, saxophonist etc. but a reasonably competent consumer of music-stuff youtube

What I think is missing - or short supply* - from the Saxophone world is someone more like "Earspasm Music" (mostly base clarinet, occasionally gets a mention here).
Sure he does some of the kit stuff (sponsorship, I guess) & basic technique stuff, and he's quite classically focused; but where he's really adds something is in his "how I play" or "how to play" style videos... he really shows how to think about an exert in depth and detail. I just find them captivating, even for pieces I'll never play (let alone on an instrument I don't play! But I don't think that matters - most the insights can apply to any music/instrument).

*I'm not saying no Sax people do this; but it tends to be more licks or phrases oriented.

Good luck with the channel!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looking forward to it. I see you started with the basics. I am always learning something new even when reviewing the basics. Good luck with the channel...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
I understand and used the "drawstring "emb you discribe in college but moved to the allard embouchure as a pro. I ususlly teach that from the beginning. As far as how much mouthpiece to take in I usually measure with a paper where the reed breaks from the table and try to put lower lip there. You are describing what has worked for you so thats fine. Many ways to do it. I think as I do more and more videos myself I really try to break down from a big topic to one or two points I'm trying to get across and then go into more depth. The truth is most people half /listen skim the videos and think they have a concept way before they actually do. i'm guilty of that myself. Good luck, I am doing the same thing you are doing. Passing along the best advice/tips from years of school, lessons and practice and the real world. Keep it up K (practice with Kride is my series.) I wanted to do a series where you actually practice something rather than read about it K

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Nice job. Since this is going to be a series, I'd start putting the subject of each in the title. So it would be nice if you mentioned something like "embouchure basics" in the title so the viewer knows what to expect. I also find "pro sax tips" a little misleading. To me at least, that implies the tips cover some very advanced subject matter. The more appropriate title would be "Beginner Sax Tips".

I'm with Keith on the embouchure. The one you present (Teal) is great for a classical sound, but I find it nearly impossible to get a jazz sound with that kind of embouchure (the exception being Desmond). But obviously, the viewer will hear your sound as you demonstrate and know what they're going to get.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Zach,

Couple of quick notes on your video.
First, the introduction of who you are and where you studied is not appropriate for the content. This isn't your 'first' video it's 'A' video in your library. As time wears on and you gain subscribers or simply viewers you'll discover no one watches these videos in a sequential form. Supplying an introduction and who I am will be a weird random section that distracts from the overall goal of the video which, as its title implies is 'Saxophone Embouchure and Articulation'. If you want to supply an introduction video about yourself and your qualifications to teach the viewer what you're trying to teach them, do so in a seperate and independent video.

Second, get rid of the mic stand or whatever that is in front of you. I mean, get it out of the camera's view. It's a distraction and blocks the viewers eyes from seeing everything you really want them to see.

The laptop on the floor...is screwing up the lighting

Stop wiggling around.

While the story you're trying to tell is more important than the camera you're using, try to improve the video quality - lighting in the room. It is pretty washed out and looks like you're using a cheap phone, webcam or stoneage digital camera. 'Might' be improved with better lighting, but will certainly improve with a better camera.

Consider changing your camera's angle as the room looks crooked in the back. I'm sure your office isn't leaning to the left, but the camera suggests otherwise. There's a lot going on back there and as a viewer I find myself perusing your shelves rather than looking at you. Simplify.

The instruction you are giving on proper face muscles is great. However, I'm watching on a small screen and can only tell that you've turned sideways and stuffed the sax in your maw. Maybe a closeup or some other illustration to give a better sense of what you're actually doing. Your verbal explanation was good, pay attention to audible inflections and lip smacks, tongue clicks.

Just some quick observations, hopefully they're useful.

Keep on keepin on

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Nice job. Since this is going to be a series, I'd start putting the subject of each in the title. So it would be nice if you mentioned something like "embouchure basics" in the title so the viewer knows what to expect. I also find "pro sax tips" a little misleading. To me at least, that implies the tips cover some very advanced subject matter.
I agree with this. You have to make it clear that you are providing tips from a pro rather than tips for pros.

If you want to keep "ProSaxTips" as your channel name, you can still create video titles that will easily avoid any ambiguity. E.g., "Get Started With Your Sax Embouchure by ProSaxTips."

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gonna stick my neck out here.
I'm not a great musician, saxophonist etc. but a reasonably competent consumer of music-stuff youtube

What I think is missing - or short supply* - from the Saxophone world is someone more like "Earspasm Music" (mostly base clarinet, occasionally gets a mention here).
Sure he does some of the kit stuff (sponsorship, I guess) & basic technique stuff, and he's quite classically focused; but where he's really adds something is in his "how I play" or "how to play" style videos... he really shows how to think about an exert in depth and detail. I just find them captivating, even for pieces I'll never play (let alone on an instrument I don't play! But I don't think that matters - most the insights can apply to any music/instrument).

*I'm not saying no Sax people do this; but it tends to be more licks or phrases oriented.

Good luck with the channel!
Thank you so much for the reply! This will be very helpful as I go forward with my videos. I'm not a "licks" type of performer, so this is a good base to hone in on what I am doing.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking forward to it. I see you started with the basics. I am always learning something new even when reviewing the basics. Good luck with the channel...
Thank you ahhlou, ever so much :) I figured basics was a good start.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand and used the "drawstring "emb you discribe in college but moved to the allard embouchure as a pro. I ususlly teach that from the beginning. As far as how much mouthpiece to take in I usually measure with a paper where the reed breaks from the table and try to put lower lip there. You are describing what has worked for you so thats fine. Many ways to do it. I think as I do more and more videos myself I really try to break down from a big topic to one or two points I'm trying to get across and then go into more depth. The truth is most people half /listen skim the videos and think they have a concept way before they actually do. i'm guilty of that myself. Good luck, I am doing the same thing you are doing. Passing along the best advice/tips from years of school, lessons and practice and the real world. Keep it up K (practice with Kride is my series.) I wanted to do a series where you actually practice something rather than read about it K
Thanks for the response, Keith :) Teach what you know, right? I'm always trying to better myself, I'll look into the Allard idea. Also thanks for the insight on retention, as I teacher, I understand where you're coming from. I'll find your channel and subscribe :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought your video came off really well. Good luck with your endeavor!
Thanks ever so much, RC, greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have any questions about the back end of YouTube (SEO, tags, end screens/cards, filming, editing, color grading, etc.) just let me know and I'd be glad to help. Good luck!
I have no idea what those are really, or how to implement them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice job. Since this is going to be a series, I'd start putting the subject of each in the title. So it would be nice if you mentioned something like "embouchure basics" in the title so the viewer knows what to expect. I also find "pro sax tips" a little misleading. To me at least, that implies the tips cover some very advanced subject matter. The more appropriate title would be "Beginner Sax Tips".

I'm with Keith on the embouchure. The one you present (Teal) is great for a classical sound, but I find it nearly impossible to get a jazz sound with that kind of embouchure (the exception being Desmond). But obviously, the viewer will hear your sound as you demonstrate and know what they're going to get.
Thanks for watching, greatly appreciated! I want to start with an overall basics of sound/tone production. I will do a video on how I do my non-classical embouchure soon. The idea is how to get to the pro sound and keep it there, so I will have more advanced tips as the videos grow.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Zach,

Couple of quick notes on your video.
First, the introduction of who you are and where you studied is not appropriate for the content. This isn't your 'first' video it's 'A' video in your library. As time wears on and you gain subscribers or simply viewers you'll discover no one watches these videos in a sequential form. Supplying an introduction and who I am will be a weird random section that distracts from the overall goal of the video which, as its title implies is 'Saxophone Embouchure and Articulation'. If you want to supply an introduction video about yourself and your qualifications to teach the viewer what you're trying to teach them, do so in a seperate and independent video.

Second, get rid of the mic stand or whatever that is in front of you. I mean, get it out of the camera's view. It's a distraction and blocks the viewers eyes from seeing everything you really want them to see.

The laptop on the floor...is screwing up the lighting

Stop wiggling around.

While the story you're trying to tell is more important than the camera you're using, try to improve the video quality - lighting in the room. It is pretty washed out and looks like you're using a cheap phone, webcam or stoneage digital camera. 'Might' be improved with better lighting, but will certainly improve with a better camera.

Consider changing your camera's angle as the room looks crooked in the back. I'm sure your office isn't leaning to the left, but the camera suggests otherwise. There's a lot going on back there and as a viewer I find myself perusing your shelves rather than looking at you. Simplify.

The instruction you are giving on proper face muscles is great. However, I'm watching on a small screen and can only tell that you've turned sideways and stuffed the sax in your maw. Maybe a closeup or some other illustration to give a better sense of what you're actually doing. Your verbal explanation was good, pay attention to audible inflections and lip smacks, tongue clicks.

Just some quick observations, hopefully they're useful.

Keep on keepin on
MN, thank you ever so much for the very detailed critique of my video(s)! This is exactly what I am looking for. To make them better as I continue to grow. Yes, I am using a basic webcam as I wanted to see if this even got a little traffic and now that it seams to have a few subscribers, I will invest in a better setup. Maybe figure out how to integrate my iphone with my Win 10 computer. It's definitely a work in progress. Thanks again :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,211 Posts
MN, thank you ever so much for the very detailed critique of my video(s)! This is exactly what I am looking for. To make them better as I continue to grow. Yes, I am using a basic webcam as I wanted to see if this even got a little traffic and now that it seams to have a few subscribers, I will invest in a better setup. Maybe figure out how to integrate my iphone with my Win 10 computer. It's definitely a work in progress. Thanks again :)
I've filmed everything up until now on my iphone - you can do A LOT with it! It can look really good if you light it well and make sure it's exposed correctly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts