Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,820 Posts
Keith Ridenhour said:
clips on his Saxscape site. I never heard that horn before. Sounds good. K
I thought you'd had a listen to my clip at one time, Keith. All of them were done on Jupiter Artist saxes. If you haven't, you're welcome to give them a hearing! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Merlin, I checked out your site and you (and the ensemble) sound very good. I didn't find an exclusive tenor clip ? If you have any that'd be great. I think I'm done with my horns but its interesting to check out new info. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
HeyMerlin,

Beautiful clips of you on Tenor! I hope you can come to Halifax and play the Music Room sometime.

rory

·
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my computers messed up?? In addition to the usual problem of me being able to get emails but not respond, I tryed to listen to your clips , Merlin but I get a windows media internal error?? Just not my week. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I played an Artist bari beside a 5 digit Selmer in Tokyo and the Artist literally blew the VI completely away.
Same for the alto....fine, fine horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Randall said:
I played an Artist bari beside a 5 digit Selmer in Tokyo and the Artist literally blew the VI completely away.
Same for the alto....fine, fine horns.
Randall, are you leaving out the Artist tenor because you did not have the chance to try it or because it was less satisfying?
If you tried it, how would it compare to a Cannonball Big Bell in your opinion?
Thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I liked the tenor too, but it wasn't that remarkable to me. As always, I need to add that I have, probably, one of the best stables of tenors there is, so a horn has to rate pretty highly with me to merit praises.

I find nothing wrong withthe Artist tenor....as a matter of fact, I would recommend anyone to try it out and see if it works for you.
I just thought the bari and alto really had some spark to them.

The CB would be my preference, but of course, your results may vary.

The CB still gets a LOT of comments on the tone....actually I get more compliments on my tone with the CB than I do with the TH&C. That really surprised me!

The TH&C is the "toneking" for me, or so I thought until recently.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Merlin said:
I thought you'd had a listen to my clip at one time, Keith. All of them were done on Jupiter Artist saxes. If you haven't, you're welcome to give them a hearing! :)
Yes..They are good Horns.
One of my friends has a Selmer Mark VI.
We recorded a song with:
1. Me playing his Selmer and than with the Jupiter...Artist.. (same Notes/Song)
Couldn't tell the difference.

2. Him playing the Jupiter and than with his Selmer (again..Same Song)
Couldn't tell the Difference.

Strange enough,...and Cool..the Jupiter played more in tune (I was blessed with Perfect Pitch)

I'm truly impressed with these Jupiter Horns...

On Edit: I forgot...Merlin..Loved your site and your playing! You play VERY well in Tune. :)

·
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one here to trial.

I am reluctantly going to send this horn back. It plays out of the box very very well. The tone is definately a notch in a better direction for me. It has a Mk Vi vibe to my ears also, except an in tune 6 that isn't stuffy. Intonation , action are all very good. I would heartily reccomend this horn to anyone looking for a step up or pro horn in the 1800 dollar price range. (from WW and BWs) Why am I sending it back?? My P Mauriet has a Martin/Conn feel to the tone and is easily one and a half times as loud at the same air pressure so at a gig I know I can hear myself and I'd have to push this Artist to do the same. Also , the alt is much better on the P and I use that alot in RnB. I could take the Artist to a good tech and probably open up the alt but in some regards after sampling alot of horns I think sometimes you just have to give up some overall volume/presence in exchange for a warmer core to the tone. Anyway, Merlin and others were right, If I wanted a casual horn to play at home and at jams with friends or even just a horn for good recording at home , this would be a good choice!!! ( I can't say that about some selmers, Yamahas, and Keilwerths I've tryed.) One last comment is that I think I'd take a 400 dollar hit on resale of my P if I did do a changeover and I can't afford that. Plus, this silver Artist is absolutly beautiful and I know me, the silver finish would be scarred in no time with how I leave my horns out at gigs. My P is a tank and doesn't show scuffs, scrapes at all with its lacquer.) Like I said, the Artist (this one anyway) is a very gooooood horn> K

1 - 15 of 15 Posts