Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Im from Argentina and I want to enter to the world of saxophone. I'm 21 years old and have played the guitar for the last 10 years or so, and felt the need to play another instrument. The sax it was, so all the search and questions began. Though I believe I prefer the tenor, I'm starting with an alto.

I want to stay away from Chinese Horns. I'd also prefer a Horn that makes me wanna practice, that's easy going. Maybe it doesn't sound all that good but encourages you to practice with an easier playing.

The thing is, my dad is travelling to the US soon (before Aug 14) and I want to buy a sax and have it shipped to the hotel. Money constrains means I have to buy one used. Since I don't want to take the risk and dive onto what eBay has to offer I contacted Hyson music and they offered me some used ones, with guarantee that they're in good shape, will play well, etc. 1 year guarantee in case I have any problem.

They had to offer:

King 665, 600USD
Vito Japan, 600USD
Conn 24M 500USD
Selmer AS300, 500USD

Couldn't find much info on the king or the Conn. Little bit about the Selmer too. Did find lot's of info about the Vito being a yts23 copy, which is an excellent beginner sax(or so they say). I know they're a little overpriced, but that's the price to pay to make sure you get something playable.

So, which one would you choose? Why?

Thank you beforehand for your help!

Bye,
Caito.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Welcome to SoTW!

I would be careful with the Selmer AS300. Ebay add says it was made in USA. Selmer hasn't made any saxes in the US for quite a while. While it is a Selmer USA model sax, that doesn't necessarily mean it was made in the US. Most of the student-line Selmer USA horns (and this is one) are made in China nowadays.

If the Vito is truly made by Yamaha, that might be your best bet, especially if buying sight unseen and un-played. Hopefully, some of the experts will chime in here soon.

·
5,484 Posts
That's weird. I didn't think anyone but a mod could delete an entire post!? I'm at a loss of explanation. So, have to check with the mods to see if something has happened. I do know that something happened to the Forum a while ago and I lost access but only for about 20 minutes. However, that may have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made the post again, and it needs approval. This one needs also? I don't know what is happenning and can't PM a mod either.

EDIT:

It seems everything is fine now. Sorry for the double post, I'm not used to the approval thing.

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Admin Note

What is happening is that newly joined members need to get their firsts 2 posts manually approved by an admin before it to show up in the forum - This is a measure to prevent forum spam - Somehow, things got messed up and you managed to get your first post to show without admin approval otherwise retracer wouldn't have been able to read you, let alone post in this very thread. I'm not sure what happened there :dontknow: but it was probably due to your several attempts to edit and re-submit your posts.

The forum also automatically hold posts for approval when you hit the submit button too often during a certain time lapse - Again, this is a measure to prevent spam

Finally, newly joined members also need to achieve a certain number of posts (I believe number is 5 currently) before the forum automatically grant them permission to send PM - Yet another measure to prevent spam because there are now spammers that join not to post their spam in the forum but in PMs resulting in that they don't get detected immediately - However, you should have still been able to PM a forum admin - Whichever, now that I know you are a real person, I'm going to make sure that you can send PMs.

·
5,484 Posts
I'd be asking more questions of the eBay ads. King 665, Conn 24m, and Selmer AS300 - all made in USA? I don't think so. No one makes saxes in the USofA any more and haven't for a long time. You say you want to stay away from Chinese saxes - well, I believe these are all Chinese saxes.

Not to be confused with Taiwanese saxes. The Taiwanese have been making saxes much longer than China and thus the Taiwanese have progressed to the point of making some pretty good ones. By folks with a lot more experience with them than I, the report is that the Chinese horns are getting better.

Do a Search on the Forum for King 665. Couple of posts speak well of it's being a beginner's horn. One post states the Conn is okay for a beginner's horn. Go figure.

Of the four, if the Vito is really made by Yamaha, in Japan, that would still be the horn of choice of the four original alternatives.

Me, personally, for your price range I'd check some vintage, like JayseSF's offerings at - http://www.2ndending.com/

Or, for about what you're looking at paying I'd check out the Kessler's Music and see what they have to offer. They have their store brand close to your budget or perhaps they have something else of interest. See the link for Kessler & Sons at the top of your web page.

Either way, you're guaranteed to get something of quality from either of those sources. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.