Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just showed me this Alto he had in his closet. It is a Martin Handcraft (Silver), serial # 54171. Needs a repad and an alignment.

Can anyone tell me anything about this thing?

Oh yeah, came with a Claude Lakey Jazz 4*3 MP.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
It would be a series II. These have a good sound and nice keywork. The downside is that it does not have a front F or the high C# adjuster. The high C# and D will be pretty sharp and need correction. In really good playing and cosmetic condition, about $450-700 in silver. If it needs pads, it MUST have thin pads. I have a really nice gold plated one in the $950 range for reference. If you cna buy it right and the finish is good, it will make a nice player.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just had the thing aligned but I still can't get A through C# to sound in the lower octave. Bottom Bb to G# sound and work great, and everything D and above up the octave does as well. It's these five notes in the middle that aren't happening for me.

Honestly though, I will wax and polish this thing up as the lacquer is immaculate, just dull. It's 86 freaking years old! But I don't think this will become a player for me. I played it for a bit and tried a few mouthpieces and it sounds thin compared to the JK, and also the ergo's are god-awful! Wretched, actually. Me thinks this will go into a display case once it's all polished up and new looking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
The C# down to A is an adjustment problem with the octave keys. Without pressing any keys (and the horn assembled) look to see that both the octave on the neck and the one on the body are firmly closing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts