Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and it was true! My Reference 36 tenor was leaking because a screw had worked its way almost all the way out of an upper stack post.

I bought a leak light last year but had not used it. To be honest, I forgot I had it until I was organizing some stuff recently. A couple of months previous to this posting, my lower notes (notes sans octave key) were not coming out of the Ref 36 so I was planning to see a local tech in my area. Problem is, I never could find the time between work, kids' sports, college adjuncting, kids' music, scouts, kids' sports. (I know, listed it twice. Who would have thought travel basketball is now year-round?)

So I pulled out the trusty leak light, which I rediscovered, to see if I could find it and sure enough the lower key on my G was throwing light (opposite of throwing shade?). I looked closer and....holy moly....the bottom post screw had almost worked its way entirely out. I used my trusty screwdriver (too bad I don't have Dr. Who's screwdriver) and SHAZAM! Leak gone, horn sounds great again.

So excited I had to share...I recommend you get a leak light if you don't have one. In this one case, it was a very simple fix.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You could just check the rods and screws with a small screwdriver occasionally and you would discover any loose ones long before the horn develops an actual leak and parts start falling on the floor!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts