Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm really not arrogant enough to think that others have been keeping track of my GAS lately. But, suffice it to say, I've had it bad (7 mouthpieces - 5 of them Barones, 2 horns - a Martin alto and bari, and I can't even keep track of the rest anymore).

Well, today has got to be the final straw for a while. It sure feels like it anyway.

Saturday I was in a music store that specializes in guitars, drums, percussion, EVERYTHING but horns. I kinda know the owner and he's been telling me about a Mark VI he's had for years and joking about selling it to me over the past year. Recently, I've had the good fortune to have my brothers '67 Mark VI to use for as long as I like (with a high F#). And it's a good horn (it's had some body damage over the years though and... not GREAT). Anyway, until then I'd played on Super 20's. SML's, and most recently a Conn 30M (which I love but just doesn't seem to have as a good a "blend" with the brass sections).

So, I ask the owner on Saturday "hey, you still got that Mark VI?" and he says yeah. So I ask if I can play it and he whips it out and I play it.

It's a 107,XXX with about 90% original lacquer (no high F#) and a bit of a banged up neck (but working with, no extra holes). Decent shape, a few dings and some normal wear. It had been repaded about 3 or 4 years ago and hardly played in that entire time. The dryness of his shop has started to turn the corks to dust and there's a bit of a clink and clank going on but I figure. Hmmm, what the heck. So I play.

Immeidately I am impressed. Nice core, nice scale, nice response. But, the acoustics in the shop are just lousy (guitars hanging EVERYWHERE). I try my brothers Series III neck on it and am a little more impressed...

However, it's early on a Saturday and I gotta roll to rehearsal. Except, when I get to rehearsal and play the '67 I keep thinking back to the '63. So I go back to the shop afterwards and spend a little more time.

The thing that impressed me most at this time was how good it played despite being in need of a good "setup".

The comparison I think of most is very much similar to my brothers SBA. His wife put it like this. "The VI ('67) is like hearing the car door being shut on a nice Cadillac but the SBA is like that of a nice Mercedes."

If that helps.

Anyway, I aks him his price and he gives me a little under what I think the market price is (and I've been keeping up on this). Anyway, I mull it over and discuss with my wife and she says "okay."

So I get it today and bring it home and WOW!!! I knew the shop was bad, but the difference in the side by side is amazing. And the '63 needs a setup still.

So, I'm just blown away and totally smitten. Glad I pulled the trigger. It wasn't the "smokin deal" that you hear about. But it plays like a champ and that's all I needed to care about.

Just had to share it.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Your sick man.....:D What you have may NOT have a cure. :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
Congratulations!

However, do not try to rationalize it, just enjoy it and to hell all those who are gonna tell you that this was just a GAS attack:twisted:, yes it might have been so what?:D

is there anything like SA saxoholic anonymous to help us?:D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
We must have really nice wives.

Mine let me buy a YBS 62 for christmas, order an RPC to play on it, buy two RPCs for tenor, and two alto pieces to try.

There really is nothing like a good VI. Except a mint super 20 <must resist GAS.....>:D

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the previous purchases have been approved. The thing is, I stopped playing full-time before I met her and sucked it up in a corporate job (but still play frequently - a few nights a week + rehearsals and personal practice time). Anyway, she gets to do what she loves, works hard at it, but doesn't make very much. So, I have kind of supported her in this over the past few years. And I still make enough (playing) to justify the expense and it's a write-off (next year).

I'll say this. I didn't pay over 5,000 for it which I think is pretty good. Plus, I'm beginning to think it doesn't need much of an adjustment after I've oiled it up and put a little shrink tubing in some key spots.

·
Registered
815 Posts
you have a nice wife for sure.....

however, she must be prepared to be even better in the future~~~~~

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
The Mk VI...

What was it ?

Alto, tenor ???

I see a pix of a tenor in your avatar.
Is that the horn ??

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, it's a tenor. My avatar is the '67 horn. The '63 actually has a little more lacquer. As I keep oiling up the rods (as I said before it sat in the shop, unplayed for years, apparently 5 years according to a friend) it just gets better and better. This thing is a beast. Number 4 on my best 4 figure+ purchase/investment scale of all time. Musical and non-musical.

I'd also like to add that according to lore, only two guys have played it since it was repadded. One was the repairman who already has 2 sixes and claimed it was better than both of his but just didn't have the gumption enough to raise the funds (the owner was also asking a lot more for it back then) and the other was a local who prefers Conn's so he just didn't feel it so much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
Sorry, it's a tenor. My avatar is the '67 horn. The '63 actually has a little more lacquer. As I keep oiling up the rods (as I said before it sat in the shop, unplayed for years, apparently 5 years according to a friend) it just gets better and better. This thing is a beast. Number 4 on my best 4 figure+ purchase/investment scale of all time. Musical and non-musical.
Wow - that says a lot! Mind sharing what numbers 1 - 3 were? And you better include an engagement ring in the list with a wife like that!!

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
#1 - Rehab (without it I wouldn't be alive for this, but I ain't a preacher).
#2 - Engagement/wedding expenses for 2nd (current) wife. (See #1 for what saved me fromt the first wife :laughing:)
#3 - Every expense and "sacrifice" for my daughter.

I still don't have a house yet (but in the next two years it's pretty likely) and although I love my Toyota, I'd give that up before I gave up the VI. Education would be up there but I never finished and it's debateble how much I learned there since the first year was all rehash of things I had already studied and that's as far as I had gotten.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Selmer Mark VI

I have two questions.
1 - Are Mark VIs with the high f# key considered not as good as the ones without, regardless of vintage?
2 - Who is JOEL?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
1) I think that some people think so, also Mark VI with a low A seem to be a no, no, (I would be glad to get one cheap....)
2) I understand is some young talented sax player Joel Perkosky

apparently if you vote for him he will get a scholarship

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After talking with many people over the years and playing more than a few sixes my opinion is that the high F# on the VI is particular troublesome on the intonation in the upper register and altissimo for tenor. I have a friend with a high F# alto and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

The logical reasoning of this, to me, is that the high F# tone hole was added with no particular redesign of the tube. I know we are talking about a minimal amount of space here. But, even with the pad closed it increases the interior mass enough to really throw the pitch in the higher notes which tend to be pretty sensitive as it is.

Also, my 30M was much better in the altissimo than the '67 VI. Whereas the '63 blows the 30M away in this department.

Now, it cannot be for certain that these are the defining categories for this as the '63 falls in to the under 110,XXX serial number range as described by some as being part of the "5 digit club." I don't know much about that and will not argue if it is or isn't. What's important to me is that it plays like a beast and I feel like a dream has really come true.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Buying a VI is not a manifestation of GAS. It is a sign of maturity, good taste,
respect for quality, and a desire to use only the best tools.

But wait 'til you try a five-digit VI...

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Al Stevens said:
Buying a VI is not a manifestation of GAS. It is a sign of maturity, good taste,
respect for quality, and a desire to use only the best tools.

But wait 'til you try a five-digit VI...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry9:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
After talking with many people over the years and playing more than a few sixes my opinion is that the high F# on the VI is particular troublesome on the intonation in the upper register and altissimo for tenor. I have a friend with a high F# alto and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

The logical reasoning of this, to me, is that the high F# tone hole was added with no particular redesign of the tube. I know we are talking about a minimal amount of space here. But, even with the pad closed it increases the interior mass enough to really throw the pitch in the higher notes which tend to be pretty sensitive as it is.

Also, my 30M was much better in the altissimo than the '67 VI. Whereas the '63 blows the 30M away in this department.

Now, it cannot be for certain that these are the defining categories for this as the '63 falls in to the under 110,XXX serial number range as described by some as being part of the "5 digit club." I don't know much about that and will not argue if it is or isn't. What's important to me is that it plays like a beast and I feel like a dream has really come true.
The best I've played was a 104,xxx just a perfect tenor .
Dark (but not stuffy) - very clear and freeblowing, and powerful.

I haven't played dozens of VI tenors, but I have played enough across
the range,
to say that the 5-digits aren't all gems(to me..)

That 104 was incredible - next was an 86,xxx, then a 91,xxx(both friends tenors)
I owned a 78,xxx that wasn't great, played a 64,xxx that was less than stellar
..owned a 45,xxx SBA that wasn't my thing .. etc. etc. blah, blah ..:D

The early 6-digits are no slouches compared to 5-digit VIs

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far this beats all the sixes I've played (a few 5 digits) and the 3 SBA's I've played. For my taste...

It's got power and anice dark but clear sound and a solid center. I'm just continually amazed by it.

And I still have to have it setup too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts