Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my routine is now 2 minutes mouthpiece scales
5 minutes holding each overtone for 45 seconds so going from Bb in the staff to F, to Bb, to D, to F, to Ab and then Bb. Ive never tried holding out the overtone and keeping it pure, not dropping down to the fundamental.
Then long tones for 7 minutes one breach each note.
doing the major bop scales all keys full range of horn. chord tone to chord tone. for 12 minutes
then copping Kurk Whalums solo on Groverworked and Underpaid. Man he has his phrasing and time/groove really deep . Love it 10 mins
Going to start transcribing Kenny Garrent on Have you Met Mrs Jones.

I wish I had more time but all this is after an hour of flute everyday. K so my practice with Kride videos are still going everyday. Seeing if my tone noticably improves over a months time. This is my retirement Ksaxman.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,436 Posts
Way to go, man, that is a serious schedule. You are an inspiration to all the players here, not just the seniors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a really solid practice routine. I need to be more disciplined like this....no excuse for it. I feel like long tones and overtones are extremely unappreciated when it comes to practicing. I think you'll see a great deal of control in your tone and stamina after doing them for a few months consistently. Bravo!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,797 Posts
so my routine is now 2 minutes mouthpiece scales
5 minutes holding each overtone for 45 seconds so going from Bb in the staff to F, to Bb, to D, to F, to Ab and then Bb. Ive never tried holding out the overtone and keeping it pure, not dropping down to the fundamental.
Then long tones for 7 minutes one breach each note.
doing the major bop scales all keys full range of horn. chord tone to chord tone. for 12 minutes
then copping Kurk Whalums solo on Groverworked and Underpaid. Man he has his phrasing and time/groove really deep . Love it 10 mins
Going to start transcribing Kenny Garrent on Have you Met Mrs Jones.

I wish I had more time but all this is after an hour of flute everyday. K so my practice with Kride videos are still going everyday. Seeing if my tone noticably improves over a months time. This is my retirement Ksaxman.com
I would add time for improvisation. I notice that the more serious and scheduled a player gets about their practice session the more squeezed out improvisation gets. Many students feel like they are goofing around when they improvise but you have to do it with a purpose. So maybe take the major bebops you are working on and have a goal of improvising with them for 10-15 minutes. It is very important to keep that creative side of the brain involved in my opinion..........

·
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would agree. Steve. all im listing is the maintenance side of my playing, not learning anything new K
I would add time for improvisation. I notice that the more serious and scheduled a player gets about their practice session the more squeezed out improvisation gets. Many students feel like they are goofing around when they improvise but you have to do it with a purpose. So maybe take the major bebops you are working on and have a goal of improvising with them for 10-15 minutes. It is very important to keep that creative side of the brain involved in my opinion..........

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just checked out your videos and there is quite a big sound difference between day 1 vs 35. Nice work. My teacher has me do this too.

·
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, It just makes sense to do some of this daily for me. when I hate my sound everything else isn't fun k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts