Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tenor player Troy Roberts usually plays his wonderful old Conn tranny, or his amazing hand made Inderbinen tenor. But in his latest youtube video, he plays his old YTS-21.... It sounds beautiful, proving, once again, that it's 99.9% the player, not the horn.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
You are right but don't try to tell these guys.
Troy Roberts is a phenomenal player. There aren't a lot of "those guys" here or anywhere, for that matter. At his level, yeah......he can play pretty much any horn and sound great, but to 95+% of the players on this planet, horns and mouthpieces can and do make a difference.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi
You would find a well set-up 21 responsive, to have excellent intonation, with a very pure saxophone sound.
This year I found myself needing a back-up horn and ended up with a YTS22 ( same horn in copper lacquer)
I felt that it needed a different mouthpiece to my long standing EB,STM and so I now use on it a Benjamin Allen 10E #8.
There are many horns that cost a hole load of cash that I would put to one side in preference of a 21 or 22.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,709 Posts
Right the point I was trying to make is that expensive equipment does not make the player .ive listened to tons of posted sound clips on this site and others of guys trying out countless mouthpieces and they usually sound the same on practically anything but if you guys actually believe that the $2000 mouthpiece and $7000 horn is going to make you play better then go for by all means keep buying . Most long time pros already have suitable equipment it's the talent and the hours of practice that makes the difference

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Right the point I was trying to make is that expensive equipment does not make the player .ive listened to tons of posted sound clips on this site and others of guys trying out countless mouthpieces and they usually sound the same on practically anything but if you guys actually believe that the $2000 mouthpiece and $7000 horn is going to make you play better then go for by all means keep buying . Most long time pros already have suitable equipment it's the talent and the hours of practice that makes the difference
+1 and amen to that !

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Now that I can unequivocally agree with! ;-)

3,315 Posts
:clock: not $$$

:notworth:

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,130 Posts
Isn't that a picture of an expensive Selmer horn for your profile pic? Seems foolish of you to buy it when a 400 dollar YAS-23 would have done the trick...........Just sayin'...........

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,130 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say that this is a special playing Yamaha for Troy. Maybe I'm wrong and he could grab any YTS-21 and go to a gig but I'm thinking not. I've played hundreds of YTS-21s and YAS-23s and although they are pretty darn consistent, I have played many that were average, some that were not good sounding for whatever reason and a very few that were amazing.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Tenor player Troy Roberts usually plays his wonderful old Conn tranny, or his amazing hand made Inderbinen tenor. But in his latest youtube video, he plays his old YTS-21.... It sounds beautiful, proving, once again, that it's 99.9% the player, not the horn.

Very thin in the palm keys lacking any character IMO.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,709 Posts
Isn't that a picture of an expensive Selmer horn for your profile pic? Seems foolish of you to buy it when a 400 dollar YAS-23 would have done the trick...........Just sayin'...........
yea I know I paid 700.00 for it .... in 1975 it was foolish of me

1 - 20 of 55 Posts