Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year, folks! The holidays are here, and that means that materialism cannot be that far behind!

I wanted to ask the SOTW community for some help (again). What are some gift ideas for saxophone players or jazz musicians? I've consulted the Google machine on this topic, and the only valuable resource it spat back at me was Jay Metcalfe's video on the matter.

As always, ALL responses are appreciated!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Take your loved one to a music store that stocks mouthpieces and sit there for 2 hours listening to them trying them out. .... buy their favorite. Seriously, the time spent all that time listening to them will be worth at least as much as the mouthpiece.

Other recommendation is to buy a JazzLab Saxholder.....a major improvement on holding a larger sax.....might cost a bit less than a new mouthpiece.

.....of course, if the budget is of no issue, bring them to a shop and let them try out new saxophones.....

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Buy them a brand new sterling silver Series III tenor saxophone! :)

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
amazon gift certificate works for anything unless you have a killer local music store. and heres a serious thing. If you have a great music store a 2 hour drive or relatively cheap flght its worth it to go and spend the day checking out whatever you need. Get your mouthpiece settled and then go check horns, not vice versa K

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Reeds are a great starting point. Try to notice if they actually need anything...is their music stand ratty or old? How about their saxophone stand? Have they recently complained about anything? Try to think of those little things.

Gift Certificate for a local pro shop is always good so they can pick out what they want. Same for Amazon.

If they like art, saxophone art is always cool. You can get prints of vintage jazz photos, I personally love those (they can get pricey especially if you frame it). If you know their favorite jazz musician, this could work really well. If they like CD's, you could get some CD's they don't have (if you're privy to that).

Hope your holiday goes great!!!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If they like jazz then tickets to a concert is always fun. A $100 gift certificate will buy a lot of reeds and cork grease. I like the idea above about a shiny new Serie III. That would be fun for many years to come.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
It's that time of year, folks! The holidays are here, and that means that materialism cannot be that far behind!

I wanted to ask the SOTW community for some help (again). What are some gift ideas for saxophone players or jazz musicians? I've consulted the Google machine on this topic, and the only valuable resource it spat back at me was Jay Metcalfe's video on the matter.

As always, ALL responses are appreciated!
If they don't already have a luxury-level neck strap, the Just Joe's Gel Strap is a cool minor extravagance. Something like an Ann Hodge colored silk swab is nice too - elegant, yet inexpensive, and they can throw away their old, funky smelling swab.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A nice music stand light for your favorite musician. They may not know they need it, but when they begin using it they’ll love it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Reeds are always a thing but there are some cool ‘indulgent’ items that many wouldn’t buy for themselves...

Saxspy endplugs
Aria music stand light
New case (go crazy and get a BAM)
Zazzle has a zillion saxophone related things, I recently got a badger playing sax pillow case to cover my tenor when i leave it on the stand at home to prevent dust buildup.
Check Etsy for some cool handmade sax related things.
WWBW gift certificate (which will probably turn into reeds!).
Gift certificate to their favorite repair tech!
And of course....a saxophone lamp!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts