Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mouthpiece from China to review that is supposed to be a copy of a Miami Dukoff 8 soprano piece like Kenny G plays. I thought I would review it and do a bit of a Kenny G tune on the sound clip for the review. Honestly, it is really hard to play that beautifully. I recorded for like an hour with many many takes and there was something I didn't like about each one. The mindset is more like classical music to me than jazz actually. Getting the melody just perfect with the vibrato and dynamics and all that. I threw in the towel for the day but will go at it again tomorrow. I know you probably all feel disgusted and ashamed of me but if you can't talk to your friends, who you gonna talk to.........:)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
He gets a lot of crap, but the cat can play well and carved a niche out for himself that proved to be lucrative. I'd do the same thing if I could.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
"It's hard to play like Kenny G........"

Isn't that a blessing :joker:

And even more of a blessing that my hair doesn't do the G hair thang

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
yea it is hard to play like kenny G. Im glad to hear that from one of the best players on this forum!I Know it is !! He is very good and has a sound that has made him millions. I get tired of some people on this forum (who can hardly play) bash him when they should try to learn something from him. imo

·
Registered
175 Posts
yea it is hard to play like kenny G. Im glad to hear that from one of the best players on this forum!I Know it is !! He is very good and has a sound that has made him millions. I get tired of some people on this forum (who can hardly play) bash him when they should try to learn something from him. imo
There are so many of the greats to learn something from and so little time. Who we vibe with, listen to and learn from is of course each individuals choice. Whether one can hardly play or whether one is an advanced player, hopefully we will never stop listening and learning. Starting at the beginning is definitely a good place to start, say with Lester.
The bashing of Mr G is not a serious assault, just some light hearted fun, hopefully.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I get tired of some people on this forum (who can hardly play) bash him when they should try to learn something from him. imo
How do you know who can play and who can't? That's a stupid generalization. This thread will be over soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Kenny G and Sanborn. A couple of prolific sax players that may be easy to approximate but difficult to capture all the nuances of. Years ago, I spent a lot of time trying to capture as much as I could, but those rides of popularity were over soon enough. Just a small window into the sax playing life.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Say what you want. It’s not easy getting a gig serenading Kim K. on Valentines Day.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
How do you know who can play and who can't? That's a stupid generalization. This thread will be over soon.
If you go by skill on the saxophone I would bet anywhere from 75% - 90% of the people on this forum don't have as much ability as he does.

Cheesy or not, the guy has a great soprano tone (for his style), he's musical, he has chops and he has some decent extended technique.

In other words, he is quite the accomplished player. Not to mention his stuff with Jeff Lorber is pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i find it hard to get that into another players vibe anymore. Maybe it's just my problem. Like if you asked me to play like Stan Getz or something, it would come out like a combination of stuff. Dexter Gordon's influence has a way of creeping in there.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
I don't understand all the trashing of Kenny G. As stated by Simonjazzsax above, he is an accomplished and successful player. If it is not your chosen style of music, go focus on what you do like. It's just too easy to criticize something or someone in order to make you feel better about yourself.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,028 Posts
I'd be pleased if I could play a tenth as well as he can or made a twentieth of his income. I just find his material to be insipid, and apparently I'm not the only one.

I hope I haven't just opened the floodgates. To repeat: I think the guy's a damn good player, and congratulate him on the size of his bank account.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I don't understand all the trashing of Kenny G. As stated by Simonjazzsax above, he is an accomplished and successful player. If it is not your chosen style of music, go focus on what you do like. It's just too easy to criticize something or someone in order to make you feel better about yourself.

What nonsense.

The fellow is very successful.
More power to him.
Liking him or not is a matter of taste.
Your comment is exactly the same as saying,
"It is too easy to criticize Chinese take out food in order to feel better about yourself."

What!?

The dude's music is insipid.
I wish I liked it, but I do not.
(It would make my travels among some of my pals a lot more pleasant.)
Anyway his sound has a compressed, processed, robot quality that is like fingernails on a blackboard.
However, these are my own personal taste problems, and have nothing to do with anyone else.

Don't pin your blues on me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
yes, agreed.
If you go by skill on the saxophone I would bet anywhere from 75% - 90% of the people on this forum don't have as much ability as he does.

Cheesy or not, the guy has a great soprano tone (for his style), he's musical, he has chops and he has some decent extended technique.

In other words, he is quite the accomplished player. Not to mention his stuff with Jeff Lorber is pretty good too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
Theres a big difference between graduating music school with tons of chops (and right there i'd say we are at maybe 10% on the forum if we are lucky ) and having a 35 year successful career with iconic tone and world wide recognition. Thats one reason I almost never tell anybody what to do. I try to stick to my experience of what works for me and my students. Then if someone wants a skill I have they can see /understand the work it takes to get that skill.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
I'm sorry that you couldn't play like him. It's OK though, maybe in another day or so it will sound closer.
I say this even though his music isn't exactly what I would consciously choose to listen to.
Lots of people do, and from what I've heard it gets some smarmy guys a little 'action'. Evidently, in some strange way, he's known in certain circles as the Barry White of saxophone.
Neither work for me, but hey, whatever gets you in the mood...

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
It also made me realize that I haven't played a Kenny G tune on soprano in like 20 years. I use to kill these at weddings. I have to get my Kenny G chops back...........
I remember doing a few all Kenny G weddings a few years back. Painful, but unfortunately, or fortunately, I’m more influenced by Steve Grossman and the like, so I’m not the best to call for those gigs.
I still say one of the worst was an all “Train” wedding where I had to listen to that crap to be able to phrase like the bad singer.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts