Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, a little splinter came off the reed and embedded itself in my lip. It was basically a single strand, impossible to see even with a magnifying glass (and try to do that in front of a mirror anyway). I only figured out what it was after it started festering and I spotted it in the glob of puss that came off my lip (with the magnifying glass). Never even thought of anything like that but it was a bit of a painful experience playing a gig just that night.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,415 Posts
Wow. Somehow have been able to avoid that for 60 years.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
So now you’ll be trying Legere?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Legere reeds have cut my lip so many times on baritone. When it happens, it doesn't hurt much but I'm draining blood out of my spit valve.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So now you’ll be trying Legere?
I got some Forestone (bari and sop) and they are good but only for one sound. Well, that's what happens practicing overtones, really more a freak accident than anything else and more annoying than really bad... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,311 Posts
Freak city. That never happened to me in all 45+ years of playing.

Playing the gig must've been quite a trip...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It has happened to me. That's why I sand all new reeds very lightly first before ever using them. 3 - 4 light swipes with 320 or 400 grit paper, no pressure, clears all those fuzzies off.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
"Stuff" happens. Personally, I thought the original title of your post was more applicable. I knew it wouldn't last long. ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
Plasticovers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Legere reeds have cut my lip so many times on baritone. When it happens, it doesn't hurt much but I'm draining blood out of my spit valve.
Yikes! That's a wild image... My band mates (rhythm sections, they find horns pretty weird) in the past have found actual spit valves icky. Maybe blood draining might be more impressive; guitarists love their hard-won callouses. The Hammer horror film they haven't yet made:

The Horn That Dripped Blood

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yikes! That's a wild image... My band mates (rhythm sections, they find horns pretty weird) in the past have found actual spit valves icky. Maybe blood draining might be more impressive; guitarists love their hard-won callouses. The Hammer horror film they haven't yet made:

The Horn That Dripped Blood
Muahh ... with a bari, it is at least controllable but imagine a soprano spewing out that pink mist

1 - 13 of 13 Posts