Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did we already know this? Why wasn't I informed? Is it okay to say dammit?

Anyways, imagine Dexter announcing the Birthday Song:

(Get up on the mic, drop your voice 2 octaves: )
Happy BIRTH ... day. To you.
Happy BIRTH ... day. To you.

Happy BIRTHday Happy BIRTHday.

Happy BIRTH ... day. To ...

Youuuuuuuuuuuuu......

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Sorry, I guess I was getting ready for the Buescher snap-in pad party on Monday....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes today i played is second balcony jump solo just to say happy birthday.. i hope he doesn't mind xD

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Just to give you some advance notice, Ornette Coleman's b-day is on the 9th.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
We are talking about that enjoyable TV series about a serial killer?

If not, here's a saxyphonist:

Happy Birthday, Dex.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I revisit my memories of seeing Dexter fairly often. I feel quite fortunate to have had 7 opportunities to do so. He was a force of nature and a giant of a player, he was like a Shakesperian actor with that horn.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
The man was bigger than life. In addition to his incredible playing there was his unique and inimitable way of introducing songs. Has Night in Tunisia ever been introduced more poetically than this:

I love the film noir opening of this film clip and I can watch the intro a million times just to hear him pronounce Tunisia like that.

Happy Birthday Dexter.....We miss you greatly.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Happy birthday, Long Tall Dexter...Love you man!!!!!!

That's an awesome clip of Night in Tunisia. Talk about making an entrance, and then burning down the house! While I like Blakey's introduction of Niight in Tunisia on Live at Birdland, just like everything else about the man, Dexter's song introductions are the stuff of legend.

When I first listened to Dexter, the power of stature of his playing was like the voice of god...btw, isn't the clip of What's New that's played after NIT on YT as well?

Shawn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Man he was such a graceful guy....thats what I like about him....he seemed very approachable as a musician and person.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Unlike with most saxophonists I would see at the Keystone Korner in San Francisco there would be a lot of women at the Dexter shows. The second time I went to see him with one particular girlfriend she said to me right before we walked in that if Dexter hit on her I was in trouble. It was one night I was really glad it was crowded and we were sitting in the back.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Man he was such a graceful guy...
...as was his playing. This is one of my favorite videos of him back when he was playing his Conn 10m.

Did you notice how he never touches the pearl touch of the B key when he plays it?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Unlike with most saxophonists I would see at the Keystone Korner in San Francisco....
I saw him at Keystone also, sometime around the mid '70s I believe. He was playing fantastic back then. I might have been there the same night as you were. I don't think he played there more than one or two weekends (he was mostly living in Europe).

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Did you notice how he never touches the pearl touch of the B key when he plays it?
That's a good spot. His hand/finger technique is really beautiful. Well, everything about his playing is beautiful in fact.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Jima, Jazz is All...thanks for the clips. Great way to start the week. Funky waistcoat Dex.....Happy Birthday man, R.I.P...a

1 - 18 of 18 Posts