Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a few really simple recordings for some rock things. And they were really just a few. Also played when I got a more open tip of a piece that I loved, but wish I had a more open tip...

My father died in June of last year, and it took all the wind out of my creative desires. For some reason, I just don't feel like playing. I felt the need to focus on my career, which is thankfully still creative and musical.

I've been playing pretty seriously for 30 years, with one weak 3 year break as I started in my career. I was observing a lot of music during that time and did feel like I came out a better player when I got serious again.

Don't know how long this current break will last. Not feeling the horn at the moment, but not going to sell anything. I know I'll be back. I still do some really small stuff. Working with some projects that need some lines here and there.

Not giving myself a guilt trip about it, and would honestly find a smart arz but wise comment from Thomas great right now. Or anyone else for that matter.

My dad was 88 and had 4 strokes within the last 3 years of his life. He came in and out of reality by the end. I had been preparing for this since his 70s. He was 46 when he had me, and 49 when he had my brother... Crazy.

Well, just sharing a very small piece of emotions about how life can affect my playing. There is much more to the picture that I don't care to share... Maybe this can help someone in the future.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
You'll be back. In the mean time, good luck.

·
Banned
864 Posts
My dad was 88 and had 4 strokes within the last 3 years of his life. He came in and out of reality by the end. I had been preparing for this since his 70s. He was 46 when he had me, and 49 when he had my brother... Crazy.
Not trying to get too personal, but for some perspective, Ronald Reagan was 47 when Ron Jr. was born (BTW Happy 100th, Ronnie!). So it's not really that unusual (or crazy), right up to the most powerful among us. I would think you would be glad your Dad lived such a long life so you got to know him as long as you did.

·
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not trying to get too personal, but for some perspective, Ronald Reagan was 47 when Ron Jr. was born. So it's not really that unusual (or crazy), right up to the most powerful among us. I would think you would be glad your Dad lived such a long life so you got to know him as long as you did.
I am very glad. He was a very interesting man. Better than me in ways dare I say. It's a personal relationship obviously. Thanks for the perspective. I was more trying to talk about the relationship with my horn which is personal, but a more chosen one. I hope this does not come off as a pity party. Just offering a situation.

·
2,640 Posts
Your dad just wants you to be happy. It's ok to take a break but your sax will miss you. Don't break your saxes heart to much. Sometimes if you just force yourself to get started you can't stop. Good luck and I hope you find what ever it is you are looking for.

·
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your dad just wants you to be happy. It's ok to take a break but your sax will miss you. Don't break your saxes heart to much. Sometimes if you just force yourself to get started you can't stop. Good luck and I hope you find what ever it is you are looking for.
Well, my sax is a piece of metal... the metal in it has been around for millions of years probably. It won't miss me at all. I do understand what you're saying, but maybe what I'm trying to explain is being overlooked. Does my father want me to be happy? Hmmm... I'm glad he's at peace, and I do believe if he were alive, he would want me to be happy.

He left me everything he was supposed to. Even bought me my first horn (which I sold) AND my first pro horn which I still have and still play.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the father thing. It's not the focus of my relationship with the horn. Please don't take offense to my reply. There are many other reasons why someone might need to take a break from their horn.

·
2,640 Posts
Well, my sax is a piece of metal... the metal in it has been around for millions of years probably. It won't miss me at all. I do understand what you're saying, but maybe what I'm trying to explain is being overlooked. Does my father want me to be happy? Hmmm... I'm glad he's at peace, and I do believe if he were alive, he would want me to be happy.

He left me everything he was supposed to. Even bought me my first horn (which I sold) AND my first pro horn which I still have and still play.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the father thing. It's not the focus of my relationship with the horn. Please don't take offense to my reply. There are many other reasons why someone might need to take a break from their horn.
I totally understand. Miles took long breaks and he did just fine. I just hope your break isn't permanent. I have taken breaks forced and willingly. You might come back better than ever. take the time you need and force yourself to pick up your horn from time to time just to check in and see how it feels.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
"The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Turnaround has been visited by the Chicken of Depression."(there's your smart arz comment)

but seriously, our fathers see in we sons the hope for a level of success, happiness and freedom beyond that, they had. When they die we all question what was their expectations of us, did we, will we know what those expectations are and are we able to meet them. I think their only expectations of us is to do what makes us happy working towards the levels of success, happiness and freedom beyond that which they'd had.
You'll be ok....find refuge in the music.

the quote is from Gary Larsen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
My dad was 88.... He was 46 when he had me, and 49 when he had my brother... Crazy.
My father was 46 when he had me, and 48 when he had my sister. He just turned 89. Happily modern medicine has kept him fairly well, but he still needs daily care. Practising sax competes with so many other commitments that I sometimes think I should give it rest as well: for every thing there is a season, and the great thing about seasons is that they come round again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Read one or both of these books:

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The Greatest Miracle in the World - Og Mandino

...both readable in an afternoon.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It happens, we can't blame you for your case of the doldrums...

Perhaps this experience will culture your further playing. Best of luck and we hope to see you back on the horn :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts