Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if it's playing related or not but I have a pain around my larynx when I play and have had for days/weeks now .
I have noticed my glands are also up , but this could be to do with a virus as I have been on long haul flights due to immigrating last week .
I'm just hoping its not a muscular thing to do with my embouchure as I do really open my throat when I play .

Anyone else experience anything similar?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Dave, sounds like you should get that checked out, I presume you haven't changed anything in your setup/ playing approach recently?
Hope you're settling in ok

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate , I'll be better when we get 1. A house 2. A car .
Got the sax is the main thing , thanks for the well wishes .

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, I have experienced something similar. Turned out to be a thyroid nodule that had to be removed surgically (just last week, as a matter of fact...still wondering when I can play again). Take a very good look in the mirror...are the two sides of your neck symmetrical, or are they uneven? Do you notice any swelling or a lump? Regardless, have it checked out by a doctor. Could be a virus as you suggest, but it could be something more. I see you're in Australia now, but here in the states, the type of doc to see would be an ENT, also known as Ear, Nose, and Throat, also known as otolaryngologist.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome back to Perth. Have you passed quarantine yet? 8-/

KennyD

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes, I have experienced something similar. Turned out to be a thyroid nodule that had to be removed surgically (just last week, as a matter of fact...still wondering when I can play again). Take a very good look in the mirror...are the two sides of your neck symmetrical, or are they uneven? Do you notice any swelling or a lump? Regardless, have it checked out by a doctor. Could be a virus as you suggest, but it could be something more. I see you're in Australia now, but here in the states, the type of doc to see would be an ENT, also known as Ear, Nose, and Throat, also known as otolaryngologist.
:headbang:

I second the Froggy's recommendation. Playing sax occasionally leads to discomfort due to a fairly small number of common irritants:

1) teeth digging into the inside of the lip
2) aggravation of an overly-sensitive or aching tooth
3) a little less commonly....inflamation of the Temporomandibular joint (which leads to a clicking/popping sound when you chew, speak or play the sax).

I'm no medic but it seems like playing with an open throat should not be a factor. Realistically the throat has a maximum point when it is at it's most relaxed and one cannot expand the throat beyond that point. An open throat is a fairly natural thing which should not involve strain.

Pain exists for a reason, heed the message. Yeah it could be nothing. Be smart, see a doctor.

:glasses7:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts