Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Vintage Selmer Bundy Tenor Saxophone, and am looking for any information about it that members are willing to share. It is unusual in that the serial number is A2992, and Sax is marked "made in Italy" on the bell ring. Engraved logo says "Bundy H&A Selmer Inc. Elkhart-Ind." By the tweed and brown leather type of case it's in, I would say it was made in the 1940's or 1950's.

I tried looking up the serial number, but nothing like it exists in the Bundy serial number records.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Contact a Moderator (Saxismyaxe, for example) and have them move this to the "Misc. Saxophone Mfr's" section. It will get more replies there.

With that said....sans a photo, it is impossible for anyone to even hazard a guess.

That said...sans a photo....and based only on this info supplied...I would hazard to guess ...:|...it's an Orsi-made horn, because to my knowledge Orsi is the Italian company which used letter prefixes. Borgani didn't, I don't believe either Rampone factory did, and I do not believe Grassi did, either....

But I would be hecka curious to see a pic....this is a NEW one on me, an Italian Bundy.....:lick:

Selmer never really 'made' Bundys. They had them stenciled for over 30 years before buying out Buescher and converting and retooling that factory from the bona-fide Buescher horns; thus morphing them into the Bundys in the mid-late-60's....

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
958 Posts
+1 to JayeSF said. Photos are a necessity for positive identification.

I can tell you that an Italian manufacturer who used letters to start their numbers was Orsi. Orsi is also known for making lots of stencil horns, including horns for Selmer, USA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your info. I have taken a look at pictures of a Vintage Orsi Tenor Sax, and it looks identical. Think you both hit it right on the head. Doesn't look like they have much value, although this one is in Near Mint Original Condition.

Best,
Dan

·
17,960 Posts
Market value, no...maybe $500. $600 tops. But they can be very good players. The ones I have had have that wonderful, lyrical, smooth and round vintage tone to 'em. Very nice.

Again, maybe the market doesn't bear them out as valuable, but you can pay 2-3x as much and get only half as good a horn, pretty easily....

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
with that serial number and description I can confirm that it is an Orsi, which looks a bit like a Bundy but it isn't . They are good players despite the fact that this was their " student" line and are very often found in pristine state. I think that at 500$ to 600$ these are a good buy and probably will interest American collectors more than they do Italian ones.

·
38,812 Posts
well, this is extremely weird, it is a Orsi , for sure, but I've never known that they had actually did work for Selmer-Bundy

·
17,960 Posts
In the 50's or possibly even late 40's.... from the looks of it ? I agree, this isn't something I have ever come across, either.

Looks to be in great shape, really; although the opening bid isn't unfair by any means, I would doubt - in this market - that it'll get one.

Kinda cool, & that's a new bit of info for the books....

·
38,812 Posts
Interesting.

Orsi couldn't have been making a Bundy in the late '40 (there was a war going on) and even in the beginning of the 50 there would have been no brass in Italy . Despite its looks this is a later horn.

·
17,960 Posts
That's true, although it always strikes me as a bit strange when I see German horns made in the 40's....and they do exist....so I suppose it's possible and would not be entirely surprised if some production continued.....

I would say it's a mid-late 50's horn, but that pinky table is awfully old-skool. I have seen Orsis with the wire guards but their more typical pinky tables than this one. It doesn't resemble most Orsi tables, which is what made me think it earlier...

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
958 Posts
Helen, just curious...why do you say it was stenciled for Selmer ?
It was on page 2 of the photos. :eek:

The horn is currently again on eBay. The owner originally contacted me a couple of months ago when he was doing some research on it before he listed it. It's located in the UK. So far he's not had any success selling it. I think he also asked about it here... At least that's what he says in his ad. :bluewink:

·
38,812 Posts
That's true, although it always strikes me as a bit strange when I see German horns made in the 40's....and they do exist....so I suppose it's possible and would not be entirely surprised if some production continued.....

I would say it's a mid-late 50's horn, but that pinky table is awfully old-skool. I have seen Orsis with the wire guards but their more typical pinky tables than this one. It doesn't resemble most Orsi tables, which is what made me think it earlier...

I once called Orsi (email is no good) to ask about an alto similar to this tenor and they told me that I could have been made between the '60 and the '70 , apparently they don't keep precise SN records and need to comment on a picture and make a stylistic analysis

·
17,960 Posts
Interesting. But....saying this to a friend who is well-versed in vintage with all of the respect which comes along with that....

I don't buy it. :lick:

I don't think this one isn't a '60's-'70's horn. The details just don't seem to bear that out.

Unless that Kings soprano you sold me is definitively dated as such, I am not inclined to believe this horn is that late a model.

You see, I am thinkin'.....selmer sunk Buescher in '63...

....so why would they subcontract a horn to Orsi when they had just bought a whole factory ????

·
38,812 Posts
I am rather inclined to think that that Kings soprano that I've sold you is of that vintage since I am sure that Mr. Orsi himself told me that an alto that I had, which looked very similar, was made between the '60 and the '70 , again I was shocked by the fact that they had to look at the horn to date it as they seemed not to have serial numbers records.

·
17,960 Posts
OK, maybe....but the pinky table on those is nothing like the one on the Bundy....

You once e-mailed me an Orsi catalog, or some cuts from one. Do you remember from what year that Catalog came ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts