Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I found the Ishimori website ad noticed that they had Alto Clarinet ligatures (a product I need deperately). Does anybody know where to get this stuff in the States? While we're at it...any other good Alto Clarinet ligs you cna think of?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
bass9396 said:
While we're at it...any other good Alto Clarinet ligs you cna think of?
There's always Rovner...or the old-fashioned shoestring. (I do, however, think that at least on my Alto the ligature has a negligible effect on my tone)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,286 Posts
Roberto's Winds sells the Woodstone for sax...maybe they'll have it for clarinet.

FWIW, they look great on sax, but they are nothing special (so I've come to learn (I have one.))

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Likewise. I used one on my alto but it was nothing special. Back to vandoren optimum for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Try this, it's the ultimate in apparent simplicity. Notice the specially crafted grooves; their angle is carefully chosen to thwart potentially detrimental coriolis effects (there's a southern hemisphere model available on request).
The raw appearance reminds us that making music is a craft, it requires sweat, stamina, dexterity and some tools. :D

·
Banned
333 Posts
Art Salt is right. It seemed great trying it at Roberto's store, but after I took at home & used it for a week, I thought it was the worst ligature I ever owned.

In a word--SUCKS.

Looks nice, though

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
tictactux said:
Try this, it's the ultimate in apparent simplicity. Notice the specially crafted grooves; their angle is carefully chosen to thwart potentially detrimental coriolis effects (there's a southern hemisphere model available on request).
The raw appearance reminds us that making music is a craft, it requires sweat, stamina, dexterity and some tools. :D
looks like something i could buy at the hardware store .. hey wait .. it is :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,103 Posts
stevesklar said:
looks like something i could buy at the hardware store .. hey wait .. it is :shock:
My sax teacher has one of those that he uses sometimes. I haven't tried it since it doesn't fit on my mouthpiece (he plays HR, I play metal), but apparently it's great, except that it's a hassle to put on/take off.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ishimori ligs

Many of my clients would go on tour to Japan and come back with the Woodstone ligs so I started carrying them several months ago. Those that have purchased them (including two of my employees) are still enjoying them.
I liked the sterling one on my Morgan tenor piece, but not enough to leave my FL Ultimate yet. I have not seen an alto clarinet specific one. I tend to stock the popular sizes of alto and tenor sax, and Bb clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,032 Posts
Bootman said:
The best value lig for clarinet is the Bonade. They make them for most models of clarinet.
When I tried a Bonade it did nothing but scratch my mouthpiece. I heard the new ones have poor quality control and sometimes they require some adjustments to work, but I prefer a ligature that is not much more expensive and works right out of the box. like the regular metal one from Vandoren.

For rubber mouthpieces, maybe tenor saxophone and alto clarinet ligatures are interchangable the same as soprano clarinet and alto sax ligatures are?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
A well made, 2 screw ligature in a bunch of different finishes.

Everyone got their favs, of course.IMHO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
I have yet to find a ligature that I like better than the Vandoren Klassik string ligature. My only gripe is Vandoren doesn't make them for a larger number of instruments...only soprano clarinet and alto sax.

The alto sax version of the Klassik MIGHT expand enough for an alto clarinet mouthpiece. It works beautifully on my hard rubber tenor mouthpiece. Sadly, it cannot expand enough to fit a bass clarinet mouthpiece. If the Klassik can fit your alto clarinet mouthpiece I cannot help but think you'll be amazed at what it does for your sound and projection.

Roger

·
Banned
333 Posts
Once again, I think they SUCK.

Some of my friends in NYC agree.

One is a very successful broadway doubler, another guy does many TV recordings.

What didn't we like about them?

We all thought they sounded good at robertos, but after a few days, they just kinda got less & less vibrant, almost making every reed NOT play. (honestly)

The wierd thing was, both of those guys called me complaining about the same thing I noticed, independently of each-other. ("Hey man, are you still using that Ishimori lig? Do you like it? Notice anything wierd about it?" etc)

So, I dont know...maybe we're all missing something, Tim, but I really thought, for lack of a better word, the Ishi SUCKED. (and was glad to get rid of it on eBay!)

This is my experience, (and others) of course, if you wanna spend the $80 to see for yourself, go for it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yikes, that's a pretty serious NO! from Mr. Glu.

I've been using a bronze Ishimori lig on my alto and I like it a lot. I bought it while in Japan. It's raw bronze with a silver circle that sits over the reed. The screws end up on the top of the piece. It replaced my 50's Selmer lig that had pretty much worn out.

I've got a gold plated one for tenor too, but use a FL instead that works a hair better for me.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
clarnibass said:
When I tried a Bonade it did nothing but scratch my mouthpiece. I heard the new ones have poor quality control and sometimes they require some adjustments to work, but I prefer a ligature that is not much more expensive and works right out of the box. like the regular metal one from Vandoren.
Agreed. The new bonades will butcher your mouthpiece. I much prefer Vandoren Masters.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
tictactux said:
When Evan Parker was in town doing a workshop (and playing the Jazz Fest) a couple of years ago he had his (synthetic) reed attached with a zip tie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts