Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Ishimori keeps putting out new stuff all the time and it's world-class workmanship...I'm afraid to even play the pieces because I know I can't afford them...You can contact them directly for orders.

R

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
I can't believe no one else has commented on how amazing these pieces sound! I personally Liked Steve's clips of the Hard Rubber Ishimori's the best out of everything he reviewed. Maybe when I get 5 bills I can go grab a 7MS and see whats it like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Steve,

sounding great on the clip!

·
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found out that Ishimori also has a medium small chambered version of this mouthpiece. They said they could send me one to review which is cool. I'm still playing the medium chambered Ishimori I have and loving it. I'm very curious how the smaller chambered piece sound and plays............

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
So, where can one get one of these?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Steve, I agree, that's one of the best sounding alto samples you've put up. There are elements of that sound which remind me of, dare I say, Dan Higgins alto sound - there's a certain hollowness with a very pleasant mid-range brightness which carries well but doesn't impose itself unnecessarily.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
All of the Wood Stone/Ishimori products (reeds, mouthpieces, and ligatures) are available at www.sax-ccessories.com
Thank you for the info, Brian. I actually realized that a while ago. The trick is that the mouthpieces are under letter W (for Woodstone) rather than I (for Ishimori).
I sent a message to your info email box, asking for information about the availability of a specific model.

·
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the info, Brian. I actually realized that a while ago. The trick is that the mouthpieces are under letter W (for Woodstone) rather than I (for Ishimori).
I sent a message to your info email box, asking for information about the availability of a specific model.
Maybe that's why I couldn't find them. I was doing a search for Ishimori and all that was coming up was ligatures...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think I'm going to revive this thread

I just bought one second hand from "thejazzfly" and would like some more opinions.
Steve sounds great but I wish I could hear some of clips or more reviews

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've played a Woodstone 6M for about a year now. For me, its the best jazz mouthpiece I've ever played on alto (been playing close to 30 years). I can whisper or roar, play a lush ballad or burn through bebop lines. Its pretty flexible, too. I've used it for pit gigs, combo work, big band, and even a rock cover band. I can't really get an Eric Marienthal or David Sanborn sound on it but I never expected to.

I think its got a pretty forgiving/efficient facing curve as I can play a wide range of reeds. So far I'm having good luck with RSJ 3S and ok results with Rigotti Gold 3M (might try some 3S). Vandoren ZZ 3's also work pretty well.

I've tried a few different ligatures but settled on my old Vandoren Optimum. I think a ligature can make some difference but its pretty small. I mean most players used a standard 2-screw up until the last 10-20 years.

blahchici, what is your impression of the mouthpiece or do you not have it in hand yet?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have informed the seller I will buy it and will paypal the money in the next hour hour or so, so I don't have it yet but I'm very excited!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've played a Woodstone 6M for about a year now. For me, its the best jazz mouthpiece I've ever played on alto (been playing close to 30 years). I can whisper or roar, play a lush ballad or burn through bebop lines. Its pretty flexible, too. I've used it for pit gigs, combo work, big band, and even a rock cover band. I can't really get an Eric Marienthal or David Sanborn sound on it but I never expected to.

I think its got a pretty forgiving/efficient facing curve as I can play a wide range of reeds. So far I'm having good luck with RSJ 3S and ok results with Rigotti Gold 3M (might try some 3S). Vandoren ZZ 3's also work pretty well.

I've tried a few different ligatures but settled on my old Vandoren Optimum. I think a ligature can make some difference but its pretty small. I mean most players used a standard 2-screw up until the last 10-20 years.

blahchici, what is your impression of the mouthpiece or do you not have it in hand yet?
Have you tried Ishimori's Woodstone reeds? It was probably designed and tested on these mouthpieces (not fact, just speculation) so they probably play best on them. In Steve's clip he was using one and he sounds great!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can't justify the price of the Woodstone reeds. I know Rigotti produces the Woodstone reeds but I don't know if or how the reed is different than the Rigotti Gold Jazz reeds. For me, the Rigotti Gold and Rico Select Jazz are a good value.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Personally , I'm using Woodstone reeds on all my mouthpieces ! (they are simply the best in my opinion of course)
As I explained the 6 tip (~.077") was a bit too open for me (but it was a fantastic mpc) and I will certainly try a woodstone in a 5 opening tip (.072") in a near future !

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Have you tried Ishimori's Woodstone reeds? It was probably designed and tested on these mouthpieces (not fact, just speculation) so they probably play best on them. In Steve's clip he was using one and he sounds great!
I've used Ishimori #2,5 reeds with the woodstone you just buy (6 tip), if it helps...
(In his clip, Steve has used some Ishimori #3 reeds (let me know if I'm wrong) and sounds marvelous !)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I can't justify the price of the Woodstone reeds. I know Rigotti produces the Woodstone reeds but I don't know if or how the reed is different than the Rigotti Gold Jazz reeds. For me, the Rigotti Gold and Rico Select Jazz are a good value.
I have asked last year Norikiyo Yaguchi from Ishimori and he explained that the designed is not the same and personally I have with the Rigotti reeds a much more centered sound with less harmonics, also woodstone reeds are clearly more consistent for me (on 20 woodstone reeds i can play 19 reeds) it is absolutely not the case with Rigotti. Anyway the raw material is exactly the same for both. About the design I have mentionned in an other thread (certainly the "reeds" thread) what Norikiyo explained exactly in details about the design.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts