Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a set of springs and paid via paypal from this site "The Bandroom" about a month ago (www.thebandroom.biz is their website). The company does not answer its phone nor respond to its emails. Has anyone else tried ordering from these guys? I thought the site looked pretty legit but it looks like I'm kissing my $35 goodbye :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Seems to be a mom&pop store - some googling revealed this post in a newsgroup "I can recommend the bandroom.biz as he is local and a friend of mine. They are good people and a family operation!"
Maybe they just have taken some time off? Not that it makes the situation any better for you, but maybe just ask PayPal about their grace period with non-ebay-not-received stuff.

I once won something and patiently waited two months and in the last possible week I had PayPal reverse the transaction for not shipping. Some weeks later I got a mail that the store owner had to undergo emergency heart surgery and thus couldn't fulfill his ebay duties...you never know what's behind that silence...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
I bought some stuff from the about 3 years ago, it was a bit hit and miss, some gear arrived, some didnt, when I tried to address it with shipping details I was told to go do something with a local kangaroo. I never bought from them again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be a mom&pop store - some googling revealed this post in a newsgroup "I can recommend the bandroom.biz as he is local and a friend of mine. They are good people and a family operation!"
Maybe they just have taken some time off? Not that it makes the situation any better for you, but maybe just ask PayPal about their grace period with non-ebay-not-received stuff.

I once won something and patiently waited two months and in the last possible week I had PayPal reverse the transaction for not shipping. Some weeks later I got a mail that the store owner had to undergo emergency heart surgery and thus couldn't fulfill his ebay duties...you never know what's behind that silence...

I am so sorry for the poor health condition of the store owner. I have already ordered another set of springs from elsewhere.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
I always call the place and order on the phone. If they don't have a phone number listed on their web site, I don't bother buying from them. Some of these sites don't update for years and you never know if they are still in business.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE! I just had the item shipped today from www.thebandroom.biz. I feel I may have "jumped the gun" a bit by posting this thread. I hope to see the business still going because they have a lot of niche supplies for woodwind repair.

I will soon have a whole bunch of springs and I can never have too many springs :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
I am so sorry for the poor health condition of the store owner. I have already ordered another set of springs from elsewhere.
Ouch, I should have clarified that that specific owner (the heart guy) was a different shop, not thebandroom.biz. Sorry for the potential confusion.

Now...I sense there are people, buyers and sellers alike, for whom the glass is always half full or half empty. Some people's motto is "assume the best" while others say "assume the worst". The latter folks should abstain from doing online business, simple as that. (I am not thinking of anyone specific here, this case just presented itself as a good opportunity to illustrate things a bit)

A month may be long, but I remember when USPS still had their economy shipping (cheap!), I sometimes waited well beyond the ebay and paypal grace period, just because some dispatcher sent my instrument with a banana freighter via Cape Horn and the North Pole. Twelve weeks was not an exception, it was the rule. And you needed quite a bit of trust (or naïveté) do do business like that. But I always (100%) got my stuff.

In a nutshell, be prepared to lose your money every so rarely. But not everyone who has a different concept of "communication with the customer" is a crook, and not everyone asking for a shipment confirmation is a control freak. Sometimes it just pays to relax a bit and assume the best. Successful businesses are built on trust.

This sermon has ended. You may now stand up and resume your normal activities. :bluewink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch, I should have clarified that that specific owner (the heart guy) was a different shop, not thebandroom.biz. Sorry for the potential confusion.

Now...I sense there are people, buyers and sellers alike, for whom the glass is always half full or half empty. Some people's motto is "assume the best" while others say "assume the worst". The latter folks should abstain from doing online business, simple as that. (I am not thinking of anyone specific here, this case just presented itself as a good opportunity to illustrate things a bit)

A month may be long, but I remember when USPS still had their economy shipping (cheap!), I sometimes waited well beyond the ebay and paypal grace period, just because some dispatcher sent my instrument with a banana freighter via Cape Horn and the North Pole. Twelve weeks was not an exception, it was the rule. And you needed quite a bit of trust (or naïveté) do do business like that. But I always (100%) got my stuff.

In a nutshell, be prepared to lose your money every so rarely. But not everyone who has a different concept of "communication with the customer" is a crook, and not everyone asking for a shipment confirmation is a control freak. Sometimes it just pays to relax a bit and assume the best. Successful businesses are built on trust.

This sermon has ended. You may now stand up and resume your normal activities. :bluewink:
Yeah, I scanned the first post really quickly since I was heading out the door and had the wrong idea. My online business purchases have been limited to mostly ebay and musicmedic and I have had problems very few and far between. I really like musicmedic for most of my repair supplies and pads but my biggest problem has been finding a place that sells saxophone springs in bulk. I am tired of ordering a single spring set of 5-10 springs and praying that I get the right size.

Thanks for everyone's input and I do want to stress that www.thebandroom.biz does NOT appear to be a scam. I do not want to badmouth anyone's business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an old thread but for the benefit of others, I want to add a bit. As of August, this outfit appears to be dead. No response to phone or email and 6 weeks gone since the PO. I am going to get Visa to check them out. Last time I did that they took the vendor off their list and saved everybody future trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would avoid this website due to my own personal experience. I was double charged for a credit card purchase and there has been no resolution from this company. They do not respond to emails and there are numerous complaints filed with the Chattanooga BBB and they have not answered these complaints. For more information go to the BBB of Chattanooga, TN. Thankfully my bank will reverse the charge to the merchant. Happy playing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts