Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, because I've read all the reviews for their Vienna Tenor, (here) and they seem pretty positive, especially for a $600 horn.

There is currently one used, it has a description of:
"This instrument is in good working condition but has some incidental cosmetic issues that come with gear that's been used. A good choice if you're looking for performance and value and not as concerned with cosmetics. Specifically, this instrument has minor denting under the thumb rest, a minor dent on the low "C#" pad, marks on the "Eb" guard, and minor scratches in the bell bow area as shown in the picture."
Would that be a big deal? There isn't a picture anyway for me to see what it looks like.
My first clarinet had a bunch of scratches and a few loose pads but it lasted pretty well!

I would just go ahead and get one for 1,000$, but frankly I just am pretty broke right now. I just want something that will last me the next 3 years of high school and for fun in college when I have time. I'm not really looking for something intermediate yet until I'm done with college.

Also, is there any way to, for example, go on a major pawn shop dealers website and type in "Tenor sax" and it'll show me where one is?

Thank you. I have a lot of questions :p

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
"... this instrument has minor denting under the thumb rest, a minor dent on the low "C#" pad, marks on the "Eb" guard, and minor scratches in the bell bow area as shown in the picture."
...There isn't a picture anyway for me to see what it looks like.
.....:|

:scratch:

Hi. So, they're referrin' to the picture and there IS no picture .....

Well, there are a whole lotta ways to answer your question. Some of the written description leaves something to be desired (i.e. how can the low C# PAD be dented, exactly ?).

If you asked your Q like this:

"I have $600 to spend on a used Tenor...would this be a good choice ?"

I would say...NO. because $600 can get you much MORE of a used Tenor than a Woodwind brand. MUCH more. In good playing and physical shape, also

(and that would then open a conversation regarding how many good used horns, older or more contemporary, 6 biill$ could buy you....)

....Now, if what you were asking is:

" I have decided to buy this horn because it has gotten decent feedback by owners. Does it seem OK to you ?"

I would say...OK, so you have decided to buy that horn. The description leaves a lot to be desired; and it is unclear as to whether it plays up and down or not. The dent at the thumbrest as described means the horn was impacted at the thumbrest and it pushed into the body tube. This is an easy tech fix as long as the dent is moderate or less serious. You need clarification on the other dents. As it is now described, you should expect it to require some tech work, so add another $100 to what you would have to spend once you receive it.

...There's my 2 cents. Welcome to the Forum.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
I don't know anything about Vienna saxes, and I have mixed feelings about WWBW.

If I had $600 to spend on a tenor, I would seriously consider this one: I played one of these at a pawn shop one time and was pleasantly surprised. Nice sax.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...one-price-reduction-515.00&highlight=baptiste

$515 plus shipping and insurance (+/-$40 for a tenor): That is $555. Even if it needs $45 at the tech bench (shouldn't), you are saving money when you consider this:

At most the JB might need a couple minor adjustments, the sax from WWBW will definitely need a set-up and some dent work.

Plus, I would MUCH rather give someone in the community my money than WWBW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, how about Altos then? I MAY or may not rent one at the school, but if I don't, would WWBW have good Alto's as well?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I've bought reeds, straps, and whatnots from them with no problem but used gear is always a better value bought from a private seller. They have a decent return policy I think. You can Ask if they'll take it back if you don't like it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts