Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've hung around here and picked up a lot from you guys but this one has me stumped. What in the hell is a Martin Busini sax? It is not a Martin, looks to be from the 60's Anyone ever heard of M.Busini? My friend had one given to him, alto plays pretty good, no pictures yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Jason,

Not to change the subject, but you own me an Olds Trombone.

I watched one of your engraving videos on YouTube and thought how easy that looked. So I got an engraver just like the one you were using and thought I'd experiment on an old Olds Trombone I had in the closet. Needless to say, you make it all look much too easy. In five-minutes I had completely disfigured the bell of the trombone and had sworn to never pick up an engraver again as long as I live.

You do beautiful work, but you are pure evil. :D

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it looked rather French at first, knew damn well it wasn't a Martin. Italian Grassi Stencil makes perfect sense. Oddly it has a really nice roundish tone, very "big"
Thanks I'll tell Jimmy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,380 Posts
Just to chime in - the only one l've ever played (a Tenor that appeared to be a circa '50's horn) was NOT of poor quality at all - it was a pretty nice old horn actually - along the lines of a typically solid older European stencil.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Just to throw in...it IS a Grassi stencil. I've seen a bunch of them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I was looking at the prices of saxophones and back when I was playing the best were Selmer and Yamaha was great too. Amazon has several Selmer tenors starting in the lose $1000 range and I thought that low. Is there a counterfeit saxophone market?

Anyway, the reason I posted here is that I decided after seeing those saxes to look up any info I could find on my old sax I had in high school, a Martin Busine tenor, and stumbled upon this thread. I had that sax for high school marching and concert band from the late 70s and sold it in the mid 80s. No one was too sure about it back then either including a couple of my music teachers who played sax at local gigs on the side. People would say, I know what a Martin is, but a Martin Busine? It had a burgundy case and looked pretty good when I got it, so it probably was from the early 70s or late 60s at its oldest. That sax went all around the lower half of Florida (Bradenton - Maitland - Cape Coral) for football games and marching band contests as well as the Orange Bowl parade in 1979 and Macy's Day and Rose Bowl parades in 1980. So by the time I sold it, it was pretty wore out. The guy who bought it after I got out of college (didn't play it in college) said he was going to refurb it. I think I sold it for $75 in 1986 in Sarasota. I always liked the tone of the sax and it was a Caddy compared to the one I had prior that looked like it was from the 40s. That old sax had no lacquer and the key guards were just crossed lengths of metal vs the nice silver plates with the cut out designs of the M.B.. That older sax was so crappy, I can't even recall who made it, lol. But it was still cooler then the Bundy clarinet I had started with in elementary school, haha. Anyway, thought I would stop in and share. Wouldn't be surprised if that sax is still being played by someone, although the case when I sold it was just about dead.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,119 Posts
Those Selmer saxes you see on the internet are made in China or Taiwan for Selmer US and are not the same as the Selmer Paris horns.
As to the Martin Busine....Not a real Martin but a typical euro mid line horn. Not a top line pro horn but if it is adjusted properly, can be a decent player.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts