Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SOTW folks,

Can any of you who are Yani 901 Tenor experts help me make sure this one is legit?

It's for sale locally right here in my town for $2000. Condition looks good except for a minor dent in the neck. I looked on archived Ebay auctions and it appears to match other sales, so I think it is legit, but with all the Chinese counterfeit stuff out there I don't want to get ripped off. The seller is the second owner, so that made me want to check it out thoroughly. Any give-aways on what to look out for would be appreciated. Will the serial number be stamped vs. laser etched? Will it say "901" above the serial?

Here is the sax in question. I'll cross-check the serial against the charts I found once I have it in-hand for a personal inspection and post a pic of the serial with XX at the tail end of the digits if I can after inspection.

Assuming it is legit and in great condition save for the neck ding, what's a fair price you would offer?

Thank you,

Shane

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Looks genuine to me. I've never seen anyone successfully fake the Yany high F# key. I suppose it could be done, but obviously it's not worth the trouble to current counterfeiters.

The serial number should be engraved/stamped, not laser-etched.

$2000 strikes me as slightly high for a private sale, but maybe what you would expect in a shop. If you pay it, make sure the horn is truly ready to play.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks genuine to me. I've never seen anyone successfully fake the Yany high F# key. I suppose it could be done, but obviously it's not worth the trouble to current counterfeiters.

The serial number should be engraved/stamped, not laser-etched.

$2000 strikes me as slightly high for a private sale, but maybe what you would expect in a shop. If you pay it, make sure the horn is truly ready to play.
Thank you. What might you offer if the asking price is a bit too high. Perhaps $1800?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think $1800 would be a good deal for you. A T901 in very good condition sold on eBay for virtually that exact price recently. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yanagisawa...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I don't think $2000 is a ripoff, but it's at the ceiling for this particular model, considering that the WO tenors have been out for more than three years now.
Thank you. I meet them at a local music shop in two hours; I'll check it out carefully and see if I can rent a practice room to play-test it for a few minutes. I'm bringing my own mouthpiece and will buy some reeds at the shop. If it all checks out I'll see if they will take $1800 for it.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Thank you. What might you offer if the asking price is a bit too high. Perhaps $1800?
I'd agree with LC that it looks legit. Though for me $2k isn't far off for this horn. A quick web search shows a few of these listed for $2400 - $2700 in very good used condition and you'd have to pay $75-$100 on shipping for most of them and maybe another $50-$75 to have them adjusted once they arrive. Quinn has one out there right now for $2600 that looks to be in just a little better condition than the one you're looking at. It looks to be in pretty good cosmetic condition and if you can see/try it in person you'll be in a better place to assess the playing condition as well as how the pads look and other wear. Nothing wrong with making an offer especially if you show up with cash but I wouldn't expect a lot of movement in the price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd agree with LC that it looks legit. Though for me $2k isn't far off for this horn. A quick web search shows a few of these listed for $2400 - $2700 in very good used condition and you'd have to pay $75-$100 on shipping for most of them and maybe another $50-$75 to have them adjusted once they arrive. Quinn has one out there right now for $2600 that looks to be in just a little better condition than the one you're looking at. It looks to be in pretty good cosmetic condition and if you can see/try it in person you'll be in a better place to assess the playing condition as well as how the pads look and other wear. Nothing wrong with making an offer especially if you show up with cash but I wouldn't expect a lot of movement in the price.
Thank you. That is very helpful.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We made a deal at $1900. It looks nearly new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,035 Posts
You should get that ding fixed in the neck. Probably won't make too much difference but it will bug you to death until you do. I think you got a beautiful tenor for the money! You'd have to pay more than that for many Taiwan models and the Yana is for real! If it were mine, maybe I would find a Yana Sterling silver neck for it - I have a thing for silver necks and Yana makes great ones.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
We made a deal at $1900. It looks nearly new.
Good for you! I have three Yanys, including a TWO1 that is similar to your new tenor. They are refined, reliable, versatile horns.

It's true that you can experiment with different necks if you want. My experience has been that Yanagisawa is very good about maintaining standard tenon sizes (more reliable than Selmer Paris in this department), so you can be pretty confident that replacement Yany necks will fit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Any idea what year it was made? 003048XX

The neck ding is very tiny. I might not have noticed upon initial inspection it if I didn’t know it was there. I can’t imagine it would affect playability.

I may buy a Yany bronze neck for it then send this one for repair if it bothers me.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
My Yani bari is 268XXX and I bought it in 2005. If they use sequential numbers not differentiated by horn type and seem to do 8000 -10000 horns per year that would put you someplace around 2009-2010 but that's mostly a semi-educated guess on my part so TIFWIW.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,035 Posts
On second look, the neck ding is smaller than I thought - I was fooled by the reflections which made it look much bigger. That little 'pinpont' won't be worth fixing and its going to leave a mark anyway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think buying a horn pre damaged is best, that way the first time you dent it won't be a big deal and you won't trip about it. Looks like a sweet horn! Yanis are awesome

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think buying a horn pre damaged is best, that way the first time you dent it won't be a big deal and you won't trip about it. Looks like a sweet horn! Yanis are awesome
The body is perfect, so I’ll still shed a tear the first time I ding or scratch it :)

When I have more time I’ll post up some better pics so future buyers have a reference to help spot genuine vs. counterfeit horns being sold by DH Gate and Alibaba.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a quick note that when I was in San Diego last month the Sam Ash there had a 902 which is the bronze version of this. Wow. Great horn. They were asking 1900 or so but I believe it didn't have either an original case or case in general. So price seems to be very good. The build quality is really great.

·
862 Posts
FYI here's what
I found on Sax Forte's site for a new - current version of the T901:

T-WO1
Engraved, Gold Lacquered
FREE USA SHIPPING
(lower 48 states)

In my opinion, for a private sale, I would go $1,800.00 tops.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts