Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Gato is gone now but he always got that warm sound. Have you listened to 'Europa' and his other records? He was playing a Berg Larsen, a small one like a 90, with a soft reed. I bet he even sounded great on a damn Conn LOL. He did his records on a Selmer and I saw him live where he played what appeared to be a re-lacquered VI. On his records he did a lot of growling and it just added to the amazing warmth of his sound/style.

Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
BTW, 'Europa' is really 'Autumn Leaves' but in a 'round' without a bridge.

Registered
The link was to a guy playing a Gato tune.
Personally I don't get what you like so much about his sound and playing...the guy on You Tube I mean...but what ever gets you wanting to play is a good thing!

SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
And here you have him on a yamaha

Best version of careless whisper I have EVER heard ....now I know what sound I want ...FINALLY 馃槑

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tD-PTVMuuJ0
He does have a good sound (on all those different horns), but there is fair amount of effects (reverb, delay?) going on there. So is it the effects that you like or his actual sound (which can be considerably enhanced by those effects)?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
He does have a good sound (on all those different horns), but there is fair amount of effects (reverb, delay?) going on there. So is it the effects that you like or his actual sound (which can be considerably enhanced by those effects)?
YEah, I was thinking about that now, maybe without the effects , it would not sound not THAT special anymore..

Registered
On the "real-deal" version, I don't much dig the sax sound, kinda harsh and "blatty" ( hey, I invented a new word, according to auto-correct... ) but the nutty piano player is blowing my mind!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts