Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Buescher 400 TH&C, King Zephyr Tenor, Zephyr Alto, Martin Committee Bari
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an early 1930's Conn Transitional alto sax a couple weeks ago at a yard sale. It came in this black case that is probably the original case the horn came in.

However, I also have a New Wonder alto in a case that is a Conn case but not the original case for that horn.

I am getting ready to take both horns up to have the Transitional rebuilt and put the NW for sale on consignment. Before I do that I wanted to get your opinions on whether the black case is the original case for the Transitional or if the brown case that came with the NW is perhaps the correct case style for the transitional.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the amazing amount of knowledge here.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Vehicle

Product Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Rectangle Bag

Brown Bag Rectangle Luggage and bags Font

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,714 Posts
IMNSHO, any horn worth overhauling is worth the best case you can find for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,718 Posts
Yep ! sub $200 is a wise investment after spending $1200 on an overhaul.
Still original cases are nice to keep the package together. I’m amazed any of these horns have lasted 90 years in these old ones. I see very little case related damage if handled properly.
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Reed Music

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
My dear friend, allow me to correct that! A Peterson B5, with a tinny of nutty cut. The B5 is my biggest pipe - I call it Jug after Gene Ammons. And like Gene, it parties all night long:
View attachment 127293

Please forgive the tarnish... ;)
The Thinking Man Smokes a Peterson Pipe.

I had quite a few of those back in the day, and I miss my collection but not the habit

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like the SKB PRO contoured case I got for my Zephyr tenor. If this ends up being a horn that I use I will probably get that case or something similar.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,714 Posts
The Thinking Man Smokes a Peterson Pipe.

I had quite a few of those back in the day, and I miss my collection but not the habit
I, too, was a pipe smoker back in the day - and collector of fine pipes. None remain, and I sometimes question the decision of giving the best away to friends. Did I really do them any favors?

·
1,973 Posts
Well you already got your answer, but yes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well you already got your answer, but yes:

I guess the cool thing to do back then was to cover your case with college stickers.
My case has stickers from hotels in Seattle and Portland, which seems a step down in coolness.

thanks

·
1,973 Posts
I guess the cool thing to do back then was to cover your case with college stickers.
My case has stickers from hotels in Seattle and Portland, which seems a step down in coolness.

thanks
That case was like a time capsule. I think whoever owned the horn played some kind of college dance band circuit. Bunch of obviously gigging-musician type gear etc. Player probably doubled on bari, there were baritone reeds in the case.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My dear friend, allow me to correct that! A Peterson B5, with a tinny of nutty cut. The B5 is my biggest pipe - I call it Jug after Gene Ammons. And like Gene, it parties all night long:
View attachment 127293

Please forgive the tarnish... ;)
Very Nice! The pipe is one of my favorite shapes (I always refer to them as a 1/4 bend), and “Nutty Cut” is a quite pleasant leaf too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts