Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was reading a little about how to spot a relacquer in other posts. I had once heard that if the bell seam was still visible along the front of the bell and the front bell lip then it's original such as in the following photo:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxNTA0/z/Lo0AAOSwpDdU9gR4/$_57.JPG

Then I read that this is not a reliable method and that checking for red rouge and looking at engraving are better indicators. If the engraving has not been recut, then that's an easy way, but how do you know if the engraving has been recut?

Bottom line, here is an intriguing SBA on eBay in which the owner contends he does not know if it is a relacquer. I asked for more pics from the seller, but he refused to provide them and seemed generally irritated with my inquiry. In looking at many of the pics provided, the lacquer appears to have a very dark shade (or patina as some call it) which may seem to suggest it is original or perhaps a very old relacquer. The engraving looks sharp, but he has not provided any close-up pictures of that either. It seems it would be worth one's time to adequately determine if it were original since it would command a much higher price. The owner seems to be hedging his bets so that if someone buys it thinking it may be original, he can always point out that he didn't claim to know.

Any opinions on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selmer-Supe...593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e6ab0239

Thanks,

Jason

(hope the links work)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He says in the ad that it may have been gently re lacquered.
Absolutely, but he seems to not really know. After looking at it more closely on a bigger screen, I think it probably is relacquereed. Perhaps this post was a waste of space. It is interesting that the lacquer looks so nicely dark.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Im often surprised how people spend that kind of money on a horn without playing it first.

I do think its a re lacquer, perhaps spray touch ups. I wouldn't shy from a re lacquer if the horn plays well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,153 Posts
I looked at it and definitely think it is a relacquer. The engraving is so crisp that it looks like it might have been recut, but the stamping are also very clear, so most likely it was chem-stripped rather than buffed. I am no expert but this is best I can come up with.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
9 times out of 10 when people "don't know" if it's been relacquered, it has. That said it's clear a relaq, you can see the flower fading at the upper left. Maybe an old factory relaq judging by the color.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
I think there is a good chance it's been sprayed from looking. But maybe more of an indicator, when a seller offers up "I'm not sure but this might be xxx", when xxx would lower value, my experience has been that 99+% of the time it indeed does suffer from xxx. Otherwise, why would a seller say something that could lower value? Sellers generally look to get top money, and generally go to an expert to find the answer to a characteristic or condition that could lower value, hoping to confirm that the item does not have the condition.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im often surprised how people spend that kind of money on a horn without playing it first.

I do think its a re lacquer, perhaps spray touch ups. I wouldn't shy from a re lacquer if the horn plays well.
Yeah. I hear you about the no return policy. I have a relacquered SBA of this vintage that is fantastic. Since it is already a player's horn, I put on a contemporary thumb rest and thumb hook making it that much more comfortable. Wouldn't want to do that to an original horn.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think there is a good chance it's been sprayed from looking. But maybe more of an indicator, when a seller offers up "I'm not sure but this might be xxx", when xxx would lower value, my experience has been that 99+% of the time it indeed does suffer from xxx. Otherwise, why would a seller say something that could lower value? Sellers generally look to get top money, and generally go to an expert to find the answer to a characteristic or condition that could lower value, hoping to confirm that the item does not have the condition.
I agree. There was a suspicion to begin with and if it's too good to be true (the seller doesn't know and will take a relacquer price for an original horn), it probably is. Like those sweet Craigslist original Selmers that are all $3,000. Thanks to all for responding!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,077 Posts
The back near the neck strap hook looks a bit thick and the condition of the neck leads me to think it is a relacquer. Nice engraving though. I had one of these and it was a fantastic tenor.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Yeah. I hear you about the no return policy. I have a relacquered SBA of this vintage that is fantastic. Since it is already a player's horn, I put on a contemporary thumb rest and thumb hook making it that much more comfortable. Wouldn't want to do that to an original horn.
There is no such thing as a"no return" EBay. You can return anything for any reason or actually, no reason.
I had a POS tenor show up my porch after I sold it with a "no return" in the description. I described it as for parts, needed repair, absolute piece of junk that would better served as a boat anchor than a sax and it still came back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts