Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I was hoping that one of the Paris experts may know if this is simply a lovely lacquer hue, or if this 36 is actually gold plated. The seller seems very honest, and they state that they are 99% certain that this is a gold plated Ref 36, but they aren't 100% certain which it is. I don't have a keen enough eye to know either way, but feel that it is not. Thanks in advance.
Glasses Vision care Sunglasses Goggles Eye glass accessory

Automotive lighting Goggles Personal protective equipment Metal Natural material

Wind instrument Tap Plumbing fixture Brass instrument Jewellery

Gold Amber Musical instrument Art Metal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,968 Posts
You should see gold plating and the silver underplate on the tenon - there is none.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes, standard Ref 36 golden lacquer. The neck is missing the octave key guard which indicates it is a later version of a Reference model line (Serial number in the 6###### range), right? I got the same one, great horn indeed, but after switching to Conn 10M it is resting in its case.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep, looks like standard lacquer (if you want I can take a photo of mine). I don't think any horn in the ref line came plated in either gold or silver (maybe a special order from selmer) even the necks only come in matte or gold lacquer, unlike the series 3 that comes in a variety of finishes and even solid silver.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, standard Ref 36 golden lacquer. The neck is missing the octave key guard which indicates it is a later version of a Reference model line (Serial number in the 6###### range), right? I got the same one, great horn indeed, but after switching to Conn 10M it is resting in its case.
Octave key guard? Do you have pictures illustrating the differences please?

Anyway that's a nice looking horn. I know I do love mine :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Octave key guard? Do you have pictures illustrating the differences please?

Anyway that's a nice looking horn. I know I do love mine :)
Here you go:

Window Font Musical instrument Rectangle Line

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,907 Posts
Its the 'octave key guide' that keeps the key in proper alignment. Careful users will never have a problem without it. Selmer began to remove/reduce attachments to the neck, even shortening the cork to improve resonance under the 'Jubilee' program.
BTW, here's my gold-plated Guardala (B&S) showing the silver plating under the gold on a wear spot (Eb guard). Any brass instrument that is gold-plated will also have silver or Nickel plating under it as an interface.
Musical instrument Saxophone Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument

1 - 12 of 12 Posts