Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,600 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone would ever know and probably couldn't care less. Either way the reed is used and looks worn out so I don't think anybody would wan to play it, and in that condition has no value to a collector which I presume was the (rather optimistic) reason for including it in the sale.

I did sell a mint original vintage Selmer reed for a lot of money once, but I wouldn't bother with a used one!

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES--- "Innovation over imitation"
15,816 Posts
I know you were just having some fun, so for you guys who like this stuff:

THESE would be original reeds.... 😀

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was being sarcastic in posting this. That reed obviously belongs in the trash. Mark, cool to see some pristine original Brilhart reeds and packaging though!

·
15,816 Posts
It is pretty neat to find some of these old items around.

I’m still the only person I know of that owns Otto Link reeds.
You never hear anywhere that they actually made reeds.
I’ll have to look around for those, and maybe put up a few pictures later.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a box (no reeds, just the box) of Wolfe Tayne reeds which I didn't know they made either. I'd be interested to see the Link ones.

·
15,816 Posts
It’s going to take some digging through the boxes, but I should be able to find them.
They’re here somewhere.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,986 Posts
Here's the thing - it's so bad on here that I thought you were serious. There is no limit to what people ask on this site but I guess it's more a sign of the times than anything special about SOTW.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I had a pre 1920 reed in a C melody case.
It had V grooves cut along the back through the bark, maybe 5 or 6.
Chipped and tobacco stained.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
The Brilhart mouthpiece looks pretty nice. The cap doesn't fit. The ligature is worth about $0.75. The reed goes DIRECTLY into the trash can.

It's often amusing what people think will help sell stuff.

"Vintage reed with original DNA!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
Could be a lucrative market in trading mouldy old original reeds with the unscrupulous in order to make recent knock off fake classic mouthpieces seem more authentic to would be buyers?

That of course would lead eventually to a lucrative market making fake mouldy old reeds for the same nefarious purposes....

Just saying... What a time to be alive eh:)

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure anyone can get their named stamped on a large enough order of reeds. It might not be a huge money-maker but you can look at it as advertising and branding I suppose.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,366 Posts
The reed on that ebay ad might be original, but as they'd say on the Antiques Roadshow, it has "condition issues."

I have to wonder if the seller really thinks it's a selling point, or is just having some fun...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts