Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some reflection I realised I can't play bigger tips. I've sttled on a "New Vintage Slant" in a 6*. Response is great and it's easy to play, the tone is warm and lush at times which I like because I'd really like to sound like Turrentine one day.

My only concern is it sounds a little airy....

Is the airyness bad?..... Hmm inquiring minds need to know

I have a performance exam in a month and would like to sound as good as I can.

http://www.blackfedora.info/ensemble/may18/blackorpheus.mp3

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
The piece sounds fine to me.

The rhythm of the melody is a little weird at times though.

·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The piece sounds fine to me.

The rhythm of the melody is a little weird at times though.
OK Thanks

I've only played it twice... it's a work in progress. Need to fix the ending too

·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dig the tone you're getting from this setup. don't worry about it and focus on the music instead.
I've spent about 2 years learning arpeggios and I think I've gone backwards a bit. My teacher kinda said that would happen. Thanks for listening Mike, I'll push on with things

·
Registered
591 Posts
After some reflection I realised I can't play bigger tips. I've sttled on a "New Vintage Slant" in a 6*. Response is great and it's easy to play, the tone is warm and lush at times which I like because I'd really like to sound like Turrentine one day.

My only concern is it sounds a little airy....

Is the airyness bad?..... Hmm inquiring minds need to know

I have a performance exam in a month and would like to sound as good as I can.

http://www.blackfedora.info/ensemble/may18/blackorpheus.mp3
Well I like it but if you want something more robust...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've spent about 2 years learning arpeggios and I think I've gone backwards a bit. My teacher kinda said that would happen. Thanks for listening Mike, I'll push on with things
It often seems like you've gone backwards but then when you look back at it later you realize you've progressed a lot. One thing that's really helped me is if I really feel like I'm hitting a wall with my practicing, I will take a break and not even think about what I was practicing, then when I come back I'm more relaxed and it's settled in my mind and sounds way better. Good luck with all your stuff!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I liked your tone (not so much the guitar playing, especially the tone and the soloing). Keep at it!

·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I liked your tone (not so much the guitar playing, especially the tone and the soloing). Keep at it!
Thanks. The guitarist is only 19 and I wish I could play sax as well as she plays at 19! My mate on bass is 59 and he's helping us out for our ensemble exam. I'm 42 so there's 3 generations in this little jam group.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Thanks. The guitarist is only 19 and I wish I could play sax as well as she plays at 19! My mate on bass is 59 and he's helping us out for our ensemble exam. I'm 42 so there's 3 generations in this little jam group.
I bet she'll be excellent in a few years. Sorry for the criticism, but maybe it's too early for her to solo with so many chord changes. Her comping is nice, though.

·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet she'll be excellent in a few years. Sorry for the criticism, but maybe it's too early for her to solo with so many chord changes. Her comping is nice, though.
No need to be sorry, we're both learning. She's just got a lot more years jumpstart than I had!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great great tone! reminiscent of Dexter a little bit with a little dryness, it's great don't change a thing ( unless you don't like it at all ), it seems like you get a little bit unstable on the upper register, like your just holding on yet with a full tone. Other than that everything else is great, just remember to be confident and relaxed while playing, do anything to make yourself as comfortable as possible with a clear mind, good luck on your performance! :)

·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great great tone! reminiscent of Dexter a little bit with a little dryness, it's great don't change a thing ( unless you don't like it at all ), it seems like you get a little bit unstable on the upper register, like your just holding on yet with a full tone. Other than that everything else is great, just remember to be confident and relaxed while playing, do anything to make yourself as comfortable as possible with a clear mind, good luck on your performance! :)
That's great to hear, Dexter is one of my other favourites. Support in the upper register is something I need to sort, more long tones. I think I'll stay with this piece for a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts