Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I do NOT know, but I agree that if it was made by Leblanc, they'd most likely have their name plastered on it somewhere. Do the ones you've seen that have Leblanc engraved on the table also have the metal shank? That might be worth checking out. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning! Wondering if this is made by Leblanc. I ask because I've seen reference to some Pete Fountain's by The Woodwind Company, and the photos of the Leblanc's that I've found have "Leblanc" engraved on the table. Thanks! View attachment 238220 View attachment 238222 View attachment 238224
My crystal Leblanc mouthpiece has Leblanc engraved on the table and Pete Fountain engraved on the top. It also has the brass insert at the cork end. Bought it back in 1971 when playing the LL.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Morning! Wondering if this is made by Leblanc. I ask because I've seen reference to some Pete Fountain's by The Woodwind Company, and the photos of the Leblanc's that I've found have "Leblanc" engraved on the table. Thanks! View attachment 238220 View attachment 238222 View attachment 238224

One thing to keep in mind.....just some food for thought but important in a way. Pete has mostly played the Leblanc Pete Fountain clarinet model with gold keys.
Before the "Pete Fountain" model he played a stock, large-bore (15mm) Leblanc Dynamic H.

Leblanc marketed the Dynamic H, which Pete played prior ( when he played with Lawrence Welk etc) with a bell having Pete Fountain's signature engraved.

That large bore is a fantastic jazz sound. Pete had the chops as well, to fill that up.The man who would be the perfect guy would be- Tim Laughlin who played at Pete's funeral, has one of Pete's clarinets, and Pete was his guide/ mentor.

Pete used soft reeds....2's and in that scale. His reason was the ability to slide and bend notes better-

A bit of a additional point. Checking/ listening to Pete's inspirations which were the ones he gained ideas from. Irving Fazola! Listening to Faz gives yo a doorway into
Pete's style.

On the LeBlanc " Pete Fountain" mouthpiece- Leblanc did offer a "Pete Fountain" crystal mouthpiece which was made by Pomerico.

I knew a great player in LA that was in NBC orchestra under Doc Severinson. Don Raffell....who of course knew Pete and measured the piece Pete played
that as I recall might of been adjusted by someone, or by a tech somewhere. But I saved Don's correspondence and here is what he said...Facing: Tip .047 ; .
Mouthpiece length: 85.7 mm

Might be useful...But also keep in mind- large bore clarinet / And listen to Faz.

Another topic someday should be- Eddie Miller. Who played with Pete and was a favorite of Pete's. Learn more here, he sure could play fantastic.

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/eddie-miller

Or get a great idea here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpeM19dhbN8

Hope this helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts