Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm 2nd chair out of about 20~ saxophones and I'll be a Junior in High School, and since about half way through my sophomore year, when we play, I don't end up playing my actual part and end up playing random harmonies and chords which fit into the piece.

Is this a bad thing? I do this in marching band, concert band, and jazz band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
It's okay if you do it at home. It's a good way to develop your ears. But if you do it with a group when you're supposed to be playing what's on the page...yes, it's a bad thing. It shows a total lack of respect for the music, for the band director, and for everyone else in the band. If I was the band director and caught you doing it, especially if I knew you were doing it deliberately, I would knock you back to last chair, give you a grade for the semester that wouldn't make you or your parents very happy, and considering the number of saxophones in the band already I might even drop you from the band.

·
12,711 Posts
Thats direct!

Cooljazz does have a good point though. Maybe you can do some things that your peers cant. Trust me when I tell you that your ego and lack of discipline will get in your way.

Im not saying that to be mean. Its just something you should think about. There is a time and a place for everything.

Dont let this be confused with trying to kill creativity. I strongly believe that if you want to play free jazz then find a few members and really explore on your own time. I know its hard to believe but you may well just miss something doing what you are doing...like learning how to preform a piece VERY well.

·
2,144 Posts
I certainly wasn't trying to be mean either. Discipline is one of the most important things about being a musician...both in the way you practice and in the way you function within a group. Better that he hears it from us than getting chewed out in front of all of his friends when the band director finally catches him. :tsk:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention, my 1st chair started doing this at first, and several top chairs caught on. He's even worse than I am, I only do about one or two that the director is okay with, but my first chair just goes off doing something even more stupid than me aka tri-tones, minor 7ths, and sometimes other parts.

I've also been trying to stop, but sometimes habits are hard to get rid of.

·
2,312 Posts
Unless you're taking an ad lib solo play the spots on the chart. Even in jazz band.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And it kind of sucks for us sometimes because he does go overboard, but he's one of the "director's favorites" so he gets away with it too.

·
5,092 Posts
If the director is cool, don't sweat it. I wouldn't be if you did it habitually and we were prepping for competition or something, but it's good for you, and would be considered the right way to do things in several musical traditions. Unfortunately, concert band is not that musical tradition, but, really, whatever you do really comes down to what your musical director wants. If he says not to do it, never do it again with him. If he lets you keep going, then go ahead. If he's worth his weight, he'll know as soon as you're doing it anyway, so his not saying anything about it is tacit approval.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I don't do it when he says don't do this at that part or something like that. And also I play my music as written during competitions or performances. It's just during rehearsals sometimes where I get bored once in a while

·
12,711 Posts
I say do sweat it. If you cant control your impulses now what do you plan to do when the chips are down.

Have some respect for your peers. I doubt they get up every morning with the plan to be you personal Abersold play along.

How would you feel...I think you would feel cheated and disrespected. Some people are taking this seriously. Have the decency to do the same or leave.

Sorry...its not personal but I think you know this isnt right. Otherwise, you would not have posted.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I did this sort of thing. Even came up with counter-melodies based on alternate versions of tunes and would have the whole section stand up and play 'em in the stands at football games, and maybe even a concert once or twice. Anarchy, I know... but you're only a kid once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts