Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if you could please help me deciding wether this is a fake yanagisawa or not, the logo seems engraved like the ornaments which isn't the case on my Yani or any other Yani I've seen. The serial number is 150xxx

Thanks for taking your time!

View attachment 232296

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
I'm thinking thats an early Yani, like an 80s vintage. That does not look like current Yani engraving but more info is needed.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I'm thinking thats an early Yani, like an 80s vintage. That does not look like current Yani engraving but more info is needed.
The serial number, if genuine, would put it in 1988. However, a partial photo of the bell is never going to be conclusive as to authenticity (though if very badly done, it could be conclusive as to inauthenticity).

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
Looks pretty original engraving to me

·
Registered
924 Posts
If its original thats some pretty sad engraving. Has presentation on pro horns come to this?
While the photo shows what is most likely an older Yany, the engraving on my new TWO1 is pretty marginal. The engraving on this model is not very extensive, but on mine it is not very well executed either. My theory is that their engravers learn on the WO1 line before they get to work on the WO10s and higher. Fortunately, it makes no difference wrt any other aspect of the sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
Engraving accounts for an important part of the cost price.

I’ve met the Yanagisawa engravers ( they are not many as you may have thought) and I am not aware that they “ learn” on cheaper horns (can be done on a piece of brass tube no need to deface a finished horn) , but the qualified engravers may be doing this quickly.

I have met them in Frankfurt (and they also gave me a lesson)

This is not my video

·
Registered
924 Posts
Engraving accounts for an important part of the cost price.

I’ve met the Yanagisawa engravers ( they are not many as you may have thought) and I am not aware that they “ learn” on cheaper horns (can be done on a piece of brass tube no need to deface a finished horn) , but the qualified engravers may be doing this quickly.

I have met them in Frankfurt (and they also gave me a lesson)
My suggestion that they practice on the less-expensive models (none of these are "cheap") was not serious, but rather a way to illustrate the truly second-rate engraving on this instrument. Nothing else about it is second-rate, but the uneveness of the engraving (both in the height and spread of the lines), the obvious overlaps where lines of engraving were stopped and restarted, and the shallowness of some of the engraving was surprising to me. I have a Taiwanese alto and a Vietnamese soprano, and both have beautiful engraving that rivals anything else I have owned. I was surprised by what I found on my Yanagisawa. Fortunately, the reason that I didn't notice while trying out the sax is that it is not that important. But, once I noticed it, I could not unsee it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts