Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,942 Posts
I didn't hear growling or any other effect, and once I realized it was a piece of legit music, I didn't expect any.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,341 Posts
I hear some growling, yes, at around 1:34.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,912 Posts
There is a distorted, overblown sound at 1:30, but it's pretty subtle compared to, for instance, Dave Liebman's forceful playing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the sheet music for the piano reduction, and there's no extra notation there. I'm assuming it is Harle's interpretive choice.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I listened wearing headphones and there was growling. But when I took off the headphones I realized it was the doberman down the street.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,134 Posts
I wouldn't consider that growling either, just over blows a little breaking up the tone. If that is growling, then growling is all Pharoah and Trane did in the 60's...I like to think of it as spirited playing :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes he is, that version of growling is produced by humming or singing while playing and he does it from 1:34-1:39 in that clip and in a few other spots where that motive comes back. Some people have different names for different effects, that is a vocalized growl. You can also flutter your tongue in the back of your throat against your uvula (like gargling mouthwash) which some call flutter-tongue, and you can flutter your tongue against the reed (like rolling your rrr's for Spanish for example) which is a much more violent sounding flutter-tongue. Happy Practicing

·
SOTW Administrator
26,232 Posts
It's a pretty innocuous growl, but I'm pretty sure it's a growl, or humming while playing. It doesn't sound like fluttertongue to me.

If it's an interpretive choice, it's a poor one, IMHO.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are other recordings that you can find on Youtube that play it straight, but one of the things I love about classical sax is the lurking threat of power behind the restrained playing. Separates us from the oboes and clarinets, imho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts