Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a "Evette" Buffet Crampon tenor sax yesterday with serial # 54024xx. It is a dark gold lacquered horn.
I'm trying to figure out if this is a french made horn or made on china. Is it considered a pro horn or student horn?More info;
It is claimed to be a 10 year old closet horn, purchase new for approx. $2200.00 (Canadian) used for a couple years and stored for the last 8 or so.
It has no model name or # on it at all. The engraving is "Evette" in an italic font inside an oval design with Buffet Crampon underneath in a small block font.
It seemed to play not bad, there was some odd movement in the G# key. It wasn't a sticking pad, but a sticking mechanism or rod? The LH pinky cluster was different. The keys seemed like they were seperated. The low B and Bb wouldn't play properly and the LH thumb button fell off while I was playing it.
The asking price is $1000.00. (Canadian) It is claimed to have been appraised at $1500.00 by a local music store who offered $1000.00 on the spot for it. I am thinking of buying this horn for my daughter for high school band.
Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
It sounds like a Chinese made Evette from the sound of it. A French made Evette would say Evette & Schaeffer from what I understand. This sounds like an excessively high price to me. These chinese made horns use thin metal and are so-so student models at best. It may say R.O.C. directly below the serial # as does an 800xxx Chinese evette alto that I have for sale.

In fact I have a Conn 10M in outstanding condition that I would like to sell that is American made and far better in every respect plus completely overhauled by a noted pro (Les Arbuckle). If that happens to interest you, you can send an email to [email protected]. In any case I would not be quick to buy the Evette horn at that price.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
It sounds like a Chinese made Evette from the sound of it. A French made Evette would say Evette & Schaeffer from what I understand. This sounds like an excessively high price to me. These chinese made horns use thin metal and are so-so student models at best. It may say R.O.C. directly below the serial # as does an 800xxx Chinese evette alto that I have for sale.

In fact I have a Conn 10M in outstanding condition that I would like to sell that is American made and far better in every respect plus completely overhauled by a noted pro (Les Arbuckle). If that happens to interest you, you can send an email to [email protected]. In any case I would not be quick to buy the Evette horn at that price.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A ten year old Evette will have been made in the Republic of China and is best avoided, they are one of the worst-made student horns you can get. I wouldn't pay more than US $500 for it, but then again, I wouldn't want it anyway. They cost about $1000 new. If you have $1000 to spend, get a Yamaha or an old US-made horn if you like the vintage idea. The only worthwhile Buffet horns over the last 30-40 years were the Dynaction, Super Dynaction, S1, S3 and Prestige models. None carries the Evette moniker. The seller is talking rubbish, don't be taken in by it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
new evette buffet crompon

Hi, I just found a tenor sax , the seller says it is French. It is a new Evette Buffet Crompon. In the bell 'Evette' is engraved in an oval and underneath says Buffet Crompon in smaller square characters. I waiting for him to send me the serial number.

I was wondering if it is really French? The price is about $ 1100

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
gabriell said:
Hi, I just found a tenor sax , the seller says it is French. It is a new Evette Buffet Crompon. In the bell 'Evette' is engraved in an oval and underneath says Buffet Crompon in smaller square characters. I waiting for him to send me the serial number.

I was wondering if it is really French? The price is about $ 1100
I am not an expert But I am prety sure all the comments above apply to this horn as well.
If it does not say "Evette and Schaeffer" but just "Evette" it is a chinese Horn and best avoided. And if it is NEW it is definatly not French.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bernards20040 said:
I am not an expert But I am prety sure all the comments above apply to this horn as well.
If it does not say "Evette and Schaeffer" but just "Evette" it is a chinese Horn and best avoided. And if it is NEW it is definatly not French.

Thanks, you were right it was a Chinese horn: under the serial number it says "ROC"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts