Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this piece and an STM EB 9 with sax I bought, I'll probably put to sale both and I would need a clarification on this Tone Edge, so I can price it accordingly.
It plays fine, I think brighter for HR mpc., but can't judge it properly as I never played any HR Link before.

Need a word from experts, thank you

Communication Device Bumper Mobile phone Portable communications device Tints and shades Bottle Cosmetics Cylinder Glass bottle Drink Bumper Automotive exterior Carbon Tints and shades Composite material Office supplies Automotive exterior Gadget Bumper Carbon Bumper Communication Device Gadget Carbon Automotive exterior

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,515 Posts
There are some eb experts here.

I am not one of them but:
They will probably want to see the side view to surmise how steep the beak drop off from the body. This helps to date the piece.

Also inside the piece under good light are there any numbers. This helps indicate the mold and age too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got those pieces with YTS-62 purple logo mint, barely played 11xxx, so early eighties and probably sitting in a box for 35 years, so did the mouthpieces also. STM is definitely EB, later, not FL blank as it is loose on a cork. In comparison with STM this one plays better for me.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
The milling marks on the table look right right. It should be tight on the cork compared to a modern Link, the shank is thinner than the newer ones, the beak drop isn’t always great tell, the body slimmer and no number at the top of the chamber. The baffle looks right but it’s hard to see if if drops off quick into the camber.
The major tell is if the chamber floor is higher than a new one. The smaller chamber is what makes them nice and bright.

·
13,515 Posts
From the photos it looks like an eb...i dont the lake/depression after the baffle...modern te pieces look like someone stuck their tumb behind the baffle while the rubber was soft.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it has kind of bullet (or horseshoe) pattern transition from the baffle into the floor (is that right term?), as seen the on 4th pic from the first post, and is ok on my cork but not extremely tight, maybe a tad looser than my FL STM and a bit tighter than STM EB, I have no modern Link, so can't compare it

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
It should fit tight like the Florida.
The true tell is a higher chamber floor from what I can gather. That’s why they play well like the Slants. They also look smaller than the new ones with a lower beak profile. I guess that’s why you see the sharper drop off of the beak on an EB.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, I played it today with a proper reed, it plays brighter with nice buzz, very even, lush bottom (subtone) and easy altissimo. It has kind of special vibe I can't get from STM. I think I'll keep this one (at least for a while).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,306 Posts
RubyXXX - I find that a good Tone Edge just does it all. Very flexible in terms of tone and super comfortable for those long gigs or practice session. Good luck with the new piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,021 Posts
It may be a hard rubber EB.

Personally I've never seen any number inside the chamber.
"Early Babbitt" defines a period of time and in this period used different mold.

"Early Babbitt" is not a specific model of hard rubber Otto Link.
I've counted at least 3 blanks for the EB hard rubber pieces.

I've always found that the ones without the clamshell baffle are generally brighter.

·
8,575 Posts
You could take a measurement of the floor height from table to floor, measured at the throat.
An EB will have a lower number than a modern tone edge.
Offhand I can’t remember what that measurement is.
I believe Mojo May have posted something on this in the past.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what would be fair price for this piece if I decide to sell it (I have serious buyer interested) ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts