Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this , I tried to scratch it off. Got some of it . Any idea what it is ? I thought it was mold at first but it's quite hard.
btw
This is a Cannonball curved soprano s# 114***
View attachment 219556 View attachment 219558
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Joined
·
7,437 Posts
'Lime' build-up. Get a little mouthpiece stuffer and start swabbing out the neck with it after playing. To remove it right away you can use some white vinegar on a cloth that you twist into the neck. I keep 'Lime-Away' for similar uses plus removing tarnish from raw brass. You probably have the same stuff in your mouthpiece - same solution.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanks 1saxman
Very much appreciated :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
Joined
·
998 Posts
Swabbing out after playing will help. For now a soaking in vinegar is a good option, just remove the key first, but I wouldn't swab acid into the neck and just leave it there. You could soak the neck in a glass of pure white vinegar for 10 minutes at a time, brush out the neck, rinse and then inspect the neck. If there are still deposits, repeat the process until the deposits are gone. Citric acid works even better.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top