Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several items posted for sale recently where someone will put up the full description, price, where it ships from, etc, but then says "will post pics later." Then they come back a day or two later and post pics, sometimes followed by additional pics a few days after that. Is this a sneaky form of bumping? I try to make sure I have everything in the initial ad so that it's nice and clean on the first post, but I get bumped out a lot of times by people posting "additional pics" etc. Thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I've seen several items posted for sale recently where someone will put up the full description, price, where it ships from, etc, but then says "will post pics later." Then they come back a day or two later and post pics, sometimes followed by additional pics a few days after that. Is this a sneaky form of bumping? I try to make sure I have everything in the initial ad so that it's nice and clean on the first post, but I get bumped out a lot of times by people posting "additional pics" etc. Thoughts?
Here are the rules:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ketplace-***&p=3680609&viewfull=1#post3680609

Bumping comes from the term BUMP, which stands for: Bring Up My Post – In other words, bumping is the act of posting frequent updates in one's marketplace ad in order for it to appear on top of the forum page – Not only is this practice unfair, but it’s annoying and it can lead to “Bumping wars” which in turn cause chaos rather than the anticipated benefits. The OP CAN reduce the price (at least 2%), add pertinent supplemental info/photos etc. in successive posts within the thread however.

There have been many discussions as to what is "fair" (that dreaded F-word), but the rules are what we have. I agree that not all of the current practices are ideal, but there ya go. Does pertinent supplemental information include adding the serial number one digit at a time? :twisted: :bluewink:

Being at the top of the stack doesn't really matter as much as having good keywords in your title and description when it comes down to someone being able to find your FS item.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Dr G. You are right, it is within the rules to bump with additional pics/etc.

I think more than the keyword being important - sell something that people want to buy at a reasonable price. A lot of the horns aren't something I would play for free or they are overpriced, no bumping or title doctoring will help them sell.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
Thanks for the info Dr G. You are right, it is within the rules to bump with additional pics/etc.
Yes but I think we (unfortunate people who have to enforce the rules with no pay and raly any thanks) can tell when something is a legitimately significantly new information and when someone just post a very slightly different pic or it is something irrelevant.

I haven;t seen the "will post pics later" but that seems to me a bit of a no bumping loophole. They should give all complete details in the OP.

The problem here is we have these rules right now. They are relaively new. We can hone them a bit but can't keep adding new rules and sub rules.

Any significant additonal pics are OK, but if people don't put all they have in the OP they are risking not having a great ad., as Dr. G says - the keywords in the title are important. If you want you post to come back up after not selling it's simple: drop the price because you were obviously asking too much in the first place.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Yes but I think we (unfortunate people who have to enforce the rules with no pay and raly any thanks) can tell when something is a legitimately significantly new information and when someone just post a very slightly different pic or it is something irrelevant.
Pete, to you and all the other admins....thank you for all you do to keep this place running smoothly....

·
28,947 Posts
I second that comment, thanks!
Thanks. Sometimes we don't get it right, I'll be the first to admit I make mistakes but I like to think we can admit them. And always happy to discuss if reasons for moderation aren't clear. (Now I'm expecting a flood of PMs telling me of the times I got it wrong).

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Sometimes we don't get it right, I'll be the first to admit I make mistakes but I like to think we can admit them. And always happy to discuss if reasons for moderation aren't clear. (Now I'm expecting a flood of PMs telling me of the times I got it wrong).
People are going to complain no matter what you do. If I ran this site, it would be a lot less civilized and possibly more entertaining, but I know it wouldn't be as good as what you guys do and I appreciate what it is now.

·
28,947 Posts
People are going to complain no matter what you do. If I ran this site, it would be a lot less civilized and possibly more entertaining, but I know it wouldn't be as good as what you guys do and I appreciate what it is now.

Haha some of us remember a.m.s :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts