Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,784 Posts
for sure it is a buescher ?
It's Buescher-made yes, but as @Grumps notes, a little anachronistic in the keywork dept. A few things:

1) IMHO, the TT Tenors just do not have the Magic of the (rollerG#) TT Altos. Something which makes the Altos supremely good is absent in the Tenors. Not that they are 'bad'...I mean, they are about level with the Conn and Martin and King splitbell Tenors of the time (well, actually...mmmm.... I'd take any of those 3 over a splitbell Buescher Tenor).
But the Altos (rollerG#) are exemplary. The Tenors...OK.
I am gonna say it....and some may disagree...when it comes to their Tenors....they didn't get 'good' until the bell holes were on the same side.....

2) This really only would have a value of perhaps $400usd in good play condition here in US. Non-playing, maybe $150.
While I understand that in EU vintage American horns have a higher market value, given again the era of it and the fact it doesn't read Buescher....the reason to buy this horn even over there would be because it's being sold very cheap and you could have an interesting player to go to occasionally.
There's no 'flip for profit' potential here.
It would more just satiate/fulfill a curiosity.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,983 Posts
The neck on that horn looks like a Buescher to me but for a post-split bell era horn.

It's Buescher-made yes, but as @Grumps notes, a little anachronistic in the keywork dept. A few things:

1) IMHO, the TT Tenors just do not have the Magic of the (rollerG#) TT Altos. Something which makes the Altos supremely good is absent in the Tenors. Not that they are 'bad'...I mean, they are about level with the Conn and Martin and King splitbell Tenors of the time (well, actually...mmmm.... I'd take any of those 3 over a splitbell Buescher Tenor).
But the Altos (rollerG#) are exemplary. The Tenors...OK.
I am gonna say it....and some may disagree...when it comes to their Tenors....they didn't get 'good' until the bell holes were on the same side.....

2) This really only would have a value of perhaps $400usd in good play condition here in US. Non-playing, maybe $150.
While I understand that in EU vintage American horns have a higher market value, given again the era of it and the fact it doesn't read Buescher....the reason to buy this horn even over there would be because it's being sold very cheap and you could have an interesting player to go to occasionally.
There's no 'flip for profit' potential here.
It would more just satiate/fulfill a curiosity.
On the basis of exactly one (1) split bell Buescher tenor, I have to disagree. Great horn. It’s got a bit of an anomaly though - the “salt shaker” four-hole octave vent on the neck, which only appeared during a limited run.

I did used to have a split-bell “Wurlitzer” tenor for a while that was a Buescher stencil; pearl G# and no front F. That was also a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts