Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first posting so please be gentle with me :p . I realise that necks are a common problem with old saxes and believe me I've tried to read as much on here as I possibly can but 1770 threads is a lot of reading. So apologies in advice if I'm asking silly newbie questions. Anyway onto business.

I recently bought a True Tone 174xxx Baritone and was wondering if it came with the original neck. It has no markings on it that I can see but it does seem to have had the octave pip moved forward about 2 inches. So can anyone hazard a guess to if this is the original? Pics are here (couldn't manage to attach them sorry)

There are two reasons I ask: The first is that the upper A B and C (which all use the moved octave pip) sound completely different to to the notes about and below which use the body octave pip. I do concede that my own playing ability is a large factor in this.
The second is that for the life of me I cannot get it in tune, the closest I could get is 218Hz and 108Hz and that was pushing the mouthpiece on way too far for my liking. It has Low Pitch stamped on the body which I understand to mean it should be pitched at 220Hz. Is this something a tech could deal with or am I screwed?

Thanks for any help
Tom

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,181 Posts
Go to saxpics and look in the Buescher section>bari and compare the photos to yours. Look at the ring at the tenon as it is a good hint to whether it is a Buescher or not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
That's definitely not the original neck. It looks like someone heavily modified an alto neck to fit the bari (including an extension from the looks of things). And the work doesn't look terribly impressive.

It's possible that the neck could be modified by a competent tech to the point that it's usable, but you might have no other choice but to find a correct neck for the sax.

Did you have the option to play test it prior to playing? If the place/person you bought it from offered any kind of return policy, it might be worth taking advantage of and waiting for an unmolested sax to turn up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that's exactly what I was hoping not to hear lol oh well. No returns available as it was never stated that it had the original neck (an oversight on my part). How could the neck be modified to suit? Fortunately I'm not in a band so it's not a major problem (yet), but it would be nice to get it right so to speak. Time to start trawling the marketplaces. Thanks for taking a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts